Monday, June 2, 2008

Time Out

As I read more and more books on parenting and various strategies, this popular concept continues to be mentioned as a way to constructively parent our child's heart. Time out. Take time out of what you are doing and think about what you did and how you want to go about doing it next time. Novel idea!

That's where I am right now. Time out. 

One day I am on 2nd Avenue, the next I am in the majestic Colorado rocky mountains. 

Last week was one of the more stressful weeks I have had in a long while. We worked on moving to another apartment (still working on it), planned a surprise baby shower, had multiple people come "view" our place each day, followed through with commitments, packed and cleaned and tried to get rest and not worry about how it was all going to get done. Yea, right. I don't think David and I slept much at all last week. Too much spinning around in our heads. Know the feeling?

I had this trip planned to see my family in Colorado to get out of David's way, but little did I know how much I would actually need a... time out. Time out of responsibilities. Time out of worrying. Time out of planning. Time out of schedules. Time out of make-up and caring what you really look like. Time out. Sigh.

It has taken me a few days, literally, to finally become relaxed. I had a pounding headache for at least 24 hours after arriving in Colorado. It could be because we 9,000 ft. up in the mountains or that my body is having a hard time adjusting to...well, rest. Either way, time out is such a necessary part of our lives and yet we continue to neglect it for ourselves. I'm here to tell you... it's worth it. I'm a believer. 

Here is a picture of the sunset...a real one. One that we saw from the deck of my parent's house in Colorado the first night I was here. This is also the view that I wake up to each morning. I hardly know what to do with myself here. Breathing fresh air filled with scents of pine. Feeling the intensely hot sun that only the mountains can bring. Sitting in absolute quiet with exceptions of bird chirping and my baby girl playing in the background. Watching wildlife prance around in our front yard (deer, fox, rabbits). 

I like this idea of ... Time Out. Why don't I do this more often?


4 comments:

Christine said...

Absolutely beautiful. Enjoy every minute of it! Interested to hear more about your new place in the city!

Kimber-Leigh said...

hey...tell your parents we're coming too! that is one gorgeous view!

glad you have a little time up on the mountain :)

and it sounds like the apartment stuff is going well?!?! can't wait to hear more...

Kristian and Katy said...

AHH! why would you do this to me??!! i want to be transported there this instant!

i just sat down at my desk, still sweating and panting from my walk through the concrete jungle. gross.

oh well. im learning about contentment, right??

Honeycutt Family said...

Welcome to Colorful Colorado! :)