1 Corinthians 5:12-19
****************************************************************************
Let me preface this post with a simple statement, that I know some of you who read this blog come from different religious backgrounds. Some are used to the word Christ and some are not. Some accept the Resurrection as truth, some do not. I am writing for all, but more specifically speaking to those who claim to believe in Christ and in His saving Resurrection.
Katy and Kristian Rose are a couple that David and I feel so blessed to know and call very dear friends here in New York. We live life together. We share openly together. We struggle together. Most importantly, we eat together... a lot. :) Kristian is a gifted teacher and was asked to preach last Sunday at church. He spoke on the verse above. Please, if you have not read it yet, take a moment to focus on the words of Paul.
Kristian touched on something that I have not been able to get out of my head and I felt compelled to share with you. He discussed, in depth, the last few verses of this passage where Paul says (and I paraphrase), if it comes to light that Christ did not raise from the dead, then we who claim to live by that Resurrection are to be pitied most of all. These words were spoken by a man who was beaten, thrown in jail, separated from those he loved, mocked, abandoned, and deeply persecuted (I could go on and on) because he believed in Christ. Of any of us...Paul would be most pitied because his life was so dependent on that one belief and he made radical decisions as aftershocks of his faithful obedience - no matter the cost.
The question was presented on Sunday, that if Christ was not raised, would our lives be pitied or have we "hedged our bets" enough on earth that we would still be happy and pleased that we believed in something greater than us and yet still lived comfortably and simply according to the world's standards? Gulp.
I don't know! Is my life one to be pitied for the sake of Christ and His glory or have I still succumbed to the "play it safe" life strategy? Do people look at my life and wonder how in the world do they do it? I don't get those Sullivans'? I wonder.
I remember when we were moving here and many could not believe we were leaving all of our family and close friends. Then, when I found out I was pregnant and we prayerfully made the decision to stay where we really felt God keeping us, not because of David's job, but because of our commitment to share Christ in the City of NY and be a light in a very dark place. Close friends commented, "How can you raise a baby there, they don't even have Mops!" or "Are you sure this is what you want for your family?" I couldn't answer or comment. All I knew is this is where God was calling us.
Even still - we have a nice life here.
Then, when I decided to give up a six figure salary - something so many work so hard for and I did as well - to stay home with my baby girl, I heard even more comments. "Don't you want to give your family even more than you had?", "It's not good for Kate to be around you all the time, she needs to experience other care takers.", "Are you sure you can afford it?" That was my favorite one. I knew for our family it was what God was leading us to and I had to trust in that. For me - it was obedience to the calling He placed on me as a mother. For now. That's all I knew then and all I know now.
Even still - we have a comfortable life here.
We see our family a few times a year. It's not ideal, but it works. We don't have space, but we have a lot more than most people in this world. I would not prefer to raise Kate in New York City, but I have grown to love this place.
Even still - we have a great life here.
When others see us are we pitied in their eyes? Are the decisions we are making today, in how we spend our money and how we raise Kate and how we respond to injustice and how we live in our marriage, leaving a legacy of pity - if one day we find out that Christ really didn't raise from the dead?
Then there is verse 20.
"But Christ HAS indeed been raised from the dead..."
Thank you, Kristian, for allowing the Spirit to speak through you.
4 comments:
There is so much rich truth to the thoughts drawn from the verse! Its so amazing to see how God has use the Roses - i wish we could have got to know them better!! This will be something we have to come back to - remind each other - over and over again when we start viewing life, money, people through the worlds eyes. Thanks for your thoughts, I love the sacrifices you have made to live in the city - your family has been made stronger because of it!!
what a great post my dear friend!
it is so wonderful to be able to look at these questions with you and our community. what a blessing... so necessary to have each other as we seek to bring glory to HIM! thanks for the great thoughts!
-katy
I was so touched by Kristian's beautiful, THOUGHT-PROVOKING sermon as well. What an incredible couple the Roses are, indeed! He left much for us to ponder and consider, and I'm so thankful that God has put us all here to try to seek and discern His will and purpose in our lives. I really enjoy reading through your thoughts and share many of your questions and concerns. Thank you for your insights!
I sure hope I didn't say any of those things... :)
Post a Comment