I hope all of the mothers had a lovely and well-deserved day of pampering and no cooking. Kate and I spent my first mother's day in Texas with my mom and away from my husband. I have decided that celebrations just aren't worth spending unless David can be there. However, it was a very special time for my mom, as my brother, Rhett, and sister, Stephanie, were both there to celebrate and honor her as well.
It got me thinking about how our lives really do come full circle. Many of my "mom" friends celebrated Mother's Day with a "break" from the usual routine. We all wanted an hour or two or four without children to delight in the simplicity of anything other than routine. David surprised me on Friday and stayed home to help with Kate and to allow me some time and a bit of freedom. It was such a treat.
My mother, on the other hand, after almost 30 years of having children at home has felt the pain and tender loss of having us all scattered. My brother is away at college as a football player with very few breaks. My sister is about to graduate and enter into the "real world". I am with the first grandchild and live clear across the country - literally. The most precious gift to her wasn't an hour away to get her nails done or to get a massage. The true treasure for her Mother's Day was to have all of her children around one table.
Such a full circle we will follow. One day those children that we so desperately needed an hour away from, are the same ones we will be longing to share just one minute with face to face. One day we will replay the countless memories around in our heads, so as to recreate the joys and tears that we will so yearn for once again. I am thankful we were able to be with my mom this Mother's Day. It was a good reminder for me of how full that circle can be and how quickly it comes.
I hope it was a special one for you.
4 comments:
Very sweet post! It gave me the tears.
This gave me tears too. I miss my mommy - she's in Aruba with my dad!
I think about that all the time. The very little ones that we want to take a break from are the ones that we couldn't breathe without! So true!! Good insight!!
so glad that you could be with your mom. i know that meant so much to her...
i love your thoughts shawna...
Post a Comment