Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Beautiful

Watching So You Think You Can Dance tonight made me think about something. One of my favorite dances tonight was to Meshell Ndegeocello's song, Beautiful.  It made me think...when was the last time I felt beautiful? What makes someone feel beautiful? Not pretty, not cute, not good. What makes you feel beautiful?

Is it a fragrance?
Is it a new outfit - a dress, perhaps?
Is it a nice dinner out?
Is it the sun hitting your face?
Is it a kind or affirmative word spoken by someone dear to you?
Is it intimacy in its complex simplicity?
Is it make up?
Is it a kiss, a touch?
Is it a memory, a picture?

Why do I so long to feel beautiful? There is something so desirable about true beauty. I have no deep thoughts or answers. Just questions. That's all. 





3 comments:

Allie said...

Beautiful is a STRONG word and I don't use it to describle myself...but I do think lots of makeup and real smoky eyeshadow is very pretty! Oh wait, did you say gawdy or beautiful....haha!!!

LOVE ME some SYTYCD, so glad it's back :)

Becksta said...

I've gotta agree w/ the above... it's hard for me to think i even look decent, nevermind "beautiful," without some nicely done make-up, good hair, and a cute outfit... sigh. Compliments from the hubby always help, though!!! And I think I definitely felt most beautiful on my wedding day.

Christine said...

It's an interesting question - you think it wouldn't be so hard to answer. For me, my husband thinks I'm most beautiful when I feel I look LEAST beautiful, which is such a picture of Christ to me. I feel most beautiful when I'm dressed like a girl though - in a skirt or dress, oh, and with a tan :)