Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Par-tay!


David turned 30 on Sunday and we had a lovely family picnic outside on our patio. He had to go on a "hunt" for his gifts. Then, David's brother, Dan and his girlfriend, Ashley came over that night for David's birthday dinner request: steak, butternut squash soup, and creamed spinach. Ashley even brought over Crumbs cupcakes. No celebration is complete without them in my book. 

Little did he know that the very next night, we would have about 20 people over to really celebrate him! He came home from work and opened his "last" present. The invitation I had sent out a few weeks before. He got ready and friends starting showing up. Perfect. We did it! A true surprise.

We had our dear friends over and played games and had such a great time honoring David. One of the fun games was modeled around "Two truths and a lie". Hysterical. Then, I asked each person to think of a word they would use to describe him and we went around the circle each sharing what he means to us. Truly an amazing time of honoring and encouraging the man that David is to so many of us. 

Here are a few that were shared Monday night. 
* Steadfast
* Role Model
* Leader
* Wise
* Funny
* Brother
* Diligent
* Humorous
* Responsible
* Consistent
* Genuine
* Integrity

I am so honored to be married to this man.

If any of you who weren't able to be with us have a word that comes to mind when you think of David, feel free to share here. 

Two tips that I have for every party planner out there: 
1) make some and cater some,    and then
2) have someone there just to help serve and clean up (and even put your child to bed). 
It will make the party that much more enjoyable for you and save you a ton of time for the more important things. I am so glad I did. 

And, finally, here are the pics from his birthday festivities. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kristian and Katy said...

you did such an amazing job putting this all together, and it was SO much fun.
the food was amazing, and atmosphere perfect, and i hope the guest of honor felt as respected as he is!!

Christine said...

Your patio is gorgeous!!! One word I definitely think of for David is "loyal". What great friends you have both been to us, but particularly what a good friend David is to my husband.

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog for some time now and consistantly come to the same conclusion after I read it. I have wondered many times if I should comment or just remain silent. Sometimes a strangers words came be more impactful than a friends; or perhaps your friends feel uncomfortable approaching you regarding such things. You seem to strive to present yourself as an authority figure; a Christain authority figure. Yet with most every post what I read is pride. A true Christian leader does not point out their strengths. The reflect them back to the Father. You seem to look for subtle ways to elevate yourself in most every post. For a woman who talks a lot about simplicity-your postings show little of it in your life. When, if ever, have you given a post on your brokenness or gutteral thankfulness? Just something to ponder.

I know that the off the cuff reaction to this comment will be to disregard it but maybe it is worth thinking over. Even the verse you use in your heading refers to the good deeds you see in yourself. Just a strangers opinion. I am sure that is not how you want the world to see you.

Shawna said...

hi karla - thank you for your thoughts. i welcome them here. i am taken back by your observations but appreciate them nonetheless. i am not sure if you have read the blog from the beginning, but i have been broken many times by our life here in New York and the number of things God has chosen to remove from my life - things i tend to cling to more than Him - and have shared those quite openly along with my thanks. my prayer is that it has been conveyed, but perhaps i am mistaken.

i am on the same journey you are on in finding those places of brokenness and accepting them. when i write, on the contrary, i write as a fellow christian who IS broken very much. however, God has given me some truths to keep me going day by day that i feel led to share with others who are also on this journey. not as an authority, but as one to encourage in hopes that things i have been through will speak to others. i know some of the most profound truths have been spoken to me by those i call friends and even those i don't know at all. i feel God uses us all in that way.

i am not sure where you are spiritually, but i pray that you will continue on the same journey to seek God first as I continue to learn daily I am disappointed and unfulfilled without Him.

i also am not ashamed to celebrate the blessings i have in my life, to which there are many, including this one for my husband.

i am not sure why you come back to read the blog, but i encourage you to do so and i pray that God will soften your heart to see where He is very much the only thing I cling to, as I have very little else in such a changing world. that is the point of the scripture. it is a reminder to myself that though this world (and especially the City that i live in) claims that it is more stuff that satisfies us or completes us, it is really those who have God and God alone. it is a reminder to me, and i hope to readers as well, as we strive to live counter culturally. i fail miserably on a daily basis and THIS is what i hope my blog is about. how can we keep going and acknowledge the blessings in our lives knowing that if we have God we really do have EVERYTHING. God bless you and I pray you hear my words with sincerity.

Honeycutt Family said...

It looks like a FABULOUS time! Awesome!