Thursday, September 25, 2008

Time Away

As some of you know, the past few months have been the most difficult for David and I in terms of our marriage. I have found myself sinking more and more into a place of conviction how I expect things to be all about me. (which doesn't work, by the way - ha.) God has so graciously shown me these areas - ugly as they may be. I am thankful for that and am definitely still working though it. Expectations and all. The stresses of life have bogged down our joyfulness in our marriage and even our joyfulness in Christ from time to time these last few months. 

In his book, Love and Respect by Dr. Eggerichs, he talks about certain cycles we find ourselves in within our marriage or any relationship, for that matter. There is a destructive cycle and a healing cycle. I really feel like we are back onto a healing cycle after spending an ample amount of time on the destructive and well, just plain lazy and distracted side. Maybe you can relate.

Why am I sharing this with you? I covet your prayers.

We are taking our first trip next week together, sans Kate. We leave on Saturday for Belize. Random? Yes, kind of. We wanted a place where we can really feel like we are "getting away" and where we can really just focus on each other. I cannot tell you how excited I am for this trip, but am also finding myself increasingly nervous and somewhat apprehensive.

For those of you who feel led, please pray for us this week. Pray that it would be a true and honest re-connection for David and I. Pray that it would be fun. Pray that God would protect us as we cross borders and enter into unfamiliar territory. Pray for my mom and for Kate as they brave out the City together while we are gone. Pray for God to continue to reveal things to me and continue to break down walls as I seek to be a better wife and mother. 

Last night as David and I were going through our will, I just broke down. It is so hard to think about a "plan" if we do not come back from this trip. What will happen to Kate? Who will take care of her? I was overcome with feelings of "what if" and a sinking feeling of what if these are my last days with Kate. I have noticed myself being extra clingy with her this week. I have played more with her on her level. I have hugged and kissed her more. I have been more patient, all because I know I am about to leave her for a while and she will not understand where I am going or for how long or why. 

It has been an interesting reminder for me as to the urgency with which we live when we remember that we are not guaranteed tomorrow. I pray that urgency remains long after we are back and that God show His grace to all of us while we are away. I pray that I don't let this uncertainty affect my faith and take away from the fun and joy of this trip, but that it will do the opposite...allow my faith to be strengthened in a way that it has not been before.

If you have ever left your babies for a trip...feel free to share some "advice"....I think I need it. :) Thanks, friends. Thank you for letting me call on you for prayer.

11 comments:

Kristian and Katy said...

what a sweet and humble post. i won't take my calling to pray on your behalf lightly!
your words are a great example of james 5:16.
we will miss you!!!

Hayley said...

Hey Shawna,
Okay, once again I open up your blog and you arerighting about stuff that I can SO relate to. My husband and I went through that 'lazy' stage as well, and that 'lazy ' stage became so destructive. It nearly tore us apart. It was the worst time of my life, but the thing is, I would so have it all over again, because it taught us to recognise the problems and we are now better than ever and that was two years ago.
Thanks again for being so honest.
Sorry no advice on leaving kids behind, I do have lots in leaving pets behind, not that the same thing I know :-)

Hayley said...

PS just re read my post and picked up all the spelling mistakes - sorry!

Christine said...

Shawna, you have encouraged me more than you know...and this blog just adds to that. I love how you so honestly process your feelings and the tension of life in all the roles you have as mother, wife, daughter, friend. I think it's a beautiful picture of Christianity that you would even put your marriage first, even when it's scary to leave little Kate for a week. I know God will honor that and be present with Kate while you are gone. And she'll have lots of adventures with your mom in the City :) Looking forward to seeing you soon.

.kp. said...

ahh yes - the frightening moment of leaving the country for the first time without your children. i remember that one well and the tears that came with it. every parent i know who travels with their spouse gets to that panicked moment. from our experience though, at day 2 we are so googly in love again that we are resting well in the comfort that they are being loved on a rediculous amount and probably eating ice cream for breakfast.

rest in the truth that she is first His and not yours and that He has her even when you are not there.

best wishes and bon voyage.

Anonymous said...

your thoughts were refreshing and honest. i love that about you. The love and respect book is a great one - it stinks to be on the crazy cycle but you can practice getting that back when you are away. your are blessed you can even go so far away ( not very many of my friends here who want to take getways, get to travel the world - more like a medium priced hotel in the next city for one night), travelling to a new place is always an adventure. you will defintely be lifed up in prayer - may you soak and rest in the father you can fully love each other :)

Honeycutt Family said...

Thank you for sharing with us, Shawna. You and David will be in our prayers.
My advice--don't be afraid to call your mom as often as you need to just so you feel better that everything is FINE!
Have fun!
Love,
Jen

La Gringa Sonria said...

We're praying for you guys! Thanks for your transparency, Shawna. We love you!

Becksta said...

So sorry I missed getting in touch with you before your trip. You guys will definitely be in our prayers, especially that this time away together will provide the kind of renewal and reawakening that marriages so often need. You are definitely not alone in the "stages" and I know God will bless you both as you passionately commit to have the kind of marriage He intends. We'll pray for you as you are without your precious little girl, too- at least you can have rest in the amazing hands she's in!!! :) Look forward to seeing you when you get back.

FordeFam said...

I think having kids throws you into a stage that you haven't known before! We had the same kind of thing happen after Asher was born! Being that he was baby #3, we had sooo little time together and we were starved for that time!!! I'm so glad that you guys are able to take some time away together!!! One of my favorite books about marriage is by Gary Smalley called "Understand Your Man, For Better or For Best "! It's one I pull out all the time! :) I'll be praying for ya'll! Thanks for your transparency! :)

Kimber-Leigh said...

praying for you dear friend.