Friday, September 28, 2007

Life

Isn't life an amazing adventure?

This week we have taken several different turns on our journey through life...

First of all, I have decided to stay home with Kate full-time. Growing up, I always said I would stay home when I had children, but this has been such a difficult decision for our family, especially me. So, I met with my boss on Tuesday and explained my intentions, not expecting him to fully understand. It was difficult for many reasons. I loved my job. I loved the people. I loved the work. I loved going to the office (most every day) and interacting with the various teams. I loved the travel that resulted from my manager role. I loved it.

So, why leave it? I think I realized that my identity was more wrapped up in my career than I would like to admit. I realized that I am a calmer, nicer person when I am not in the intense NY corporate environment. Thus, I realized that I would not be able to give to Kate as much as I would like to if I stayed working, even part-time. So, the decision was made, and...

I feel peace. I feel relief. Most of all, I feel excitement of staying home with Kate and being a role model to her and being there for David and his growing career. I feel as though I will not take one day for granted that I am staying home with her, because of what I have given up to be there. I remain ever so thankful I have this option and a husband who encouraged this decision and is supportive of it. The last 5 years are closed and I am looking forward to this next chapter in my life.

The second major event is that my parents just bought beautiful mountain property in Colorado. Our house in Texas is on the market and a move is inevitable. What a strange feeling. This will be the last year we will be in Texas for holidays with my side of the family. Home is not home as I once knew. Strange, but SO exciting. I am super excited for mom and dad and for their future in Colorado. There is no better place to be, if you aren't in Texas...so here we come!!

Next, David and I are leading a "family" community group through our church. We are going through a book called, Money Possessions and Eternity, by Randy Alcorn. I have only been through the first chapter and it's rocking my world. I hope you'll check it out, too. I am sure there will be blogs to follow about the things God is teaching us through this book. I would love for you to join me in reading it.

I will leave you with this quote to sum up this entire blog and to sum up our entire lives.

"He who has God and everything has no more than he who has God alone." C.S. Lewis

8 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

Shawna,
I really think you will enjoy being a stay-at-home-mom. It is the BEST to be there for every single moment! I honestly believe you will never regret it!
And "Yay!" for Colorado life! I hope we can get together with your parents some time and catch up. Your dad will always hold a special place in our hearts since he baptized me in 1999. :)
Love,
Jen

diane said...

Hey Shawna, I found your blog through Kimber-leigh's. Congratulations on your sweet baby girl. She is beautiful! So great that you will be able to be a full time momma to Kate, especially in NYC. How fun!

-Diane (Baylor and DDD)

Kristian and Katy said...

im so jealous we can't be in your family class. maybe i will hide behind some chairs and listen. jk-but i do look forward to hearing what HE teached you through this!!

yay for stay at home momma.
yay for colorado '09.

love
k

Christine said...

Oh my goodness, so excited for you! What an amazing new journey. I'm inspired by your courage and faith, and I can't wait to hear all that God teaches you along the way.

Anonymous said...

That is one of the 3 books that has defined my life. I LOVE it. It is so so convicting and really shares where we hold our treasure. I am so excited you are reading it!

FordeFam said...

Awww!!! So excited for you to get to stay at home with your little sweetie! I was cooking dinner one night and heard my 2 year old saying "ooh la la" over and over again and I was laughing so hard! Then I stopped and thought about how hard it would be to get her to do that on a video! At that moment I was sooo thankful to be home with our chikadees, as hard as it is on some days! :) You will never regret this decision! Oh, and if you're trying to figure out who I am, we went to high school together! Ha! Just in case you didn't recognise my name... ;)
Blessings,
Maia ><>

andrea said...

Shawna... I've been praying for you! I know that it was a difficult decision and that God would bless you either way but I'm proud of you for searching your own heart and being confident in your decision! I can't wait to see how it all unfolds... the journey is the fun part! And yay for Colorado... it's halfway to me too! :)

Angel2 said...

I am so proud of you! Yes, it is hardest job ever, but also the most wonderful!!! You will never regret your decision... and just think God rewarded you with a house in Colorado. ;-)

P.S. I am definately getting that book! Jared and I are reading Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas and it is fabulous- a must read!