You've just got to love chain restaurants for their kid-friendliness, spaciousness, and more cost-effective menus. We have never been to this one and so we decide to give it a go. It is across the street from the museum and we are on the West Side of all places - truly unfamiliar territory.
The menu, or book, is long and full of desirable choices. David and I take a look through the options and he decides on a salmon salad which is listed as the "Under 600" option. What? It took me a while to remember that, of course, all of the restaurants in NYC (who have 10 or more locations) are now required to list the calorie counts for each and EVERY menu item. Drinks, sides, appetizers, you name it. Really!?
I had my heart set on the Farmers Market pizza, which has to be healthy, because it's all fresh vegetables and feta cheese (yum!). Right? Wrong, I guess. I was so torn between the Asian Chicken Salad and the pizza and after realizing the calories were listed, I wasn't even sure I wanted to know. I looked. Ouch! The salad had under 600 and the pizza over 1,000? Ouch!
We went with the salads. Oh, but I longed for that pizza.
It kind of made me mad. David loved it, because he felt like he was making a well educated decision, but for me, it took away some of the fun of eating out. I feel like I'll obsess over how many calories everything has more now than ever before. I'm usually not a diet person and I pride myself on that. I know I can be thinner, but I love life and I LOVE me some good food. So, I throw out the question to you.
Would you prefer to see the calories of everything you eat? Or, would you rather not know? Would you change what you always order after seeing the calories at Starbucks or your favorite chain restaurant? Do tell.
10 comments:
Do you even have to ask me...no calorie count for me, please for exactly the reason you sited. YUK...when I go out I want "good" stuff and you can tell by looking at me that I eat it.
I wouldn't worry about calories, because a calorie doesn't always mean bad. If your body needs meat, well, meat has a lot more calories than other things, but that might be a better choice for you. Like, a salad with steak on it, cheese, and a vinaigrette dressing could be a very filling, satisfying meal for someone who needs protein & fat but have a lot of calories. It would be more fitting to include the ingredients on every menu item - now THAT would be scary.
Don't need to know...we don't go out that often, so when we do, I've usually "saved up" for it calorie wise and throw caution to the wind!
I suppose if I went out once or more/week it might help me, although I'd probably still choose the more delicious vs. the healthier choice anyway!
I agree, I don't want to know the calories. I think a lot of people really do know which things are high in calories and which are low...I think portion control is the best bet. On that note, how are you!? Kate is so so so adorable! Isn't being a mom the best thing in the world?!!!
I would love to catch up sometime!
--Mallory
dont want to know about it. i would rather be uninformed and enjoy my dinner...and dessert. does that sound like a woman smoking through the hole in her throat?
i think i would want to know. that doesn't always mean i'll make the "better-for-my-health" choice... but who says it's the better choice, all things considered? at least then i'd be dealing with reality.
i agree with christine - i would like them to list all of the ingredients. especially since i recently found out i'm allergic to wheat, corn, chocolate and vinegar. i know - feel sorry for me.
Ohhhh, this is sad for me. I don't like to know- if I did, I would make it at home. Ignorance is bliss.
hmm...maybe they should just list calories when they are TRULY outrageous...then you know when to splurge on those items without feeling like you're super concious about every single calorie you consume.
portions and balance.
and oh andrea. wheat? chocolate? i'm SO sorry.
Grr! Just typed a msg and then I hit the wrong key, and it erased. *tear*
Yes, I wouldn't want to know, but then I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. Isn't that awful? I really need to retrain my body! UGH!
Your daugher is GORGEOUS! It has been too long since I've sneaked a peak!
list 'em, please. i might be 10 lbs. lighter if they did :)
Post a Comment