Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Accepting Responsibility

Why is it so easy now to delegate our God-given responsibilities? I could go into our responsibility to help others and those less fortunate, to take care of our environment, to take care of ourselves and our marriages, but I just wanted to share a quick story about our children. 



There are so many excuses now to shirk the responsibility of parenting, that it's almost comical. Well, or sickening, depending on how you look at it.  Truly. We've talked about full-time nannies for full-time stay-at-home moms and house cleaners every day. Yes, one of my friends has both and a driver, of course. Good for her. I'm not here to preach on what is good or not good or healthy or not healthy, but there was a funny story today and it just made me think more about our responsibility or lack there of as a parent. I think sometimes our culture gives us a way "out" more times than not, and it's almost like we as parents have to take back those reigns from time to time (well a lot of the time) and say, "We can do this!"



This morning Kate and I went to the park to meet some moms. We were sitting on a bench visiting when a news reporter came up to us from the Daily News and asked how we felt about the hot asphalt around the playground. As a mother of a 1 year old who is just now starting to walk, I really had no idea what she was talking about. Evidently, a group of moms is pushing the City to replace every playground area within the Manhattan City Limits with light colored mats so that their children's feet don't get burned. OK. Fair enough. I understand that as a mom you want to protect your child and no one wishes them to have burned appendages. Totally get that. 


In fact, it would have made more sense for the City to think of that to begin with, but does it make sense to spend all of our tax money on pulling up every single playground area and replace it with other ones, when you can just make sure that they wear shoes and post a warning sign? You know, kind of like the McDonald's "HOT coffee". 



The reporters asked us if we were aware that the black asphalt pad currently there could get up to 160 degrees in full sun for a period of time. I was not aware. My mom friends were. The reporter asked for our opinion on what should be done. My one friend so politely spoke up that it really comes down to the parents better judgement. If it's a hot day and the area is in full sun...make sure your kids are wearing shoes. Better yet, post a sign to encourage children to wear shoes at all times. But, it really comes down to the parents ... doing just that...parenting. 



"We don't let our kids walk down the sidewalk without shoes because it's dirty and there could be broken glass," she said. "Why are we asking the City to handle something that really is within our control?"


The reporter got her name and it will be posted later this week. It just struck me as funny. Is it the City's responsibility or ours to ensure our children are protected. I guess both, in a way, but if it comes down to something as simple as wearing shoes or not...I think that one goes to the parents. Don't you think? Funny.


3 comments:

.kp. said...

may be they would consider also changing out all of the billboards and such that burn them in other ways?

Becksta said...

very interesting, indeed! but yeah, i hear ya- just put some shoes on those sweet, little toes!

La Gringa Sonria said...

Our laws seem to continue to take away our responsibility to think...common sense stuff, like-"if you want to live while driving a car, wear your seatbelt!" Do people really need Uncle Sam to remind them of that?

I totally agree with you Shawna, Life's tough-even for little ones feet, that's why God gave us parents and brains, not taxes!