I have waited to gradually introduce my thoughts on this book, because honestly I have had to digest them myself. It is a life changing book, if you allow it to be, which is why it is on my list of things to do before you die. You will hear me refer to it again and again, I predict, but for now I want to discuss one aspect of something David and I have been talking about ever since and it came up again yesterday...
When is enough, enough? No, really. If we, in the Christ covenant community, truly believe that our earthly possessions pale in comparison to Christ and are completely opposite of what eternal life is about...then why do we see our resources as "ours" and spend so much on....stuff? Designer stuff. 25% off stuff. Clearance stuff. The best brand stuff? Why is it about making ourselves more comfortable, look better, or feel better? These are the things I ask myself. What will Jesus say to me about how I spend His resources? I know that it reflects my heart and my priorities, but I still tend to look at them as mine - for my pleasure, not for His glory.
This week David and I have been in conversation about it again because he received his annual compensation and bonus figures. Now, if you are in the world of banking...everything usually rides on the bonus. During this time in the market, we were just thankful that he still has a job. Even more, we find ourselves extremely blessed that he will make more than he did last year. I always have this initial thought of how much we can accomplish this year with the money or how much we would like to save or give or what trips we would like to take, etc. But, then there is always this question...
If we were living alright this past year, able to enjoy some nice things, live comfortably, still participate in giving and community service - what will we do with the "extra" money this new year? Do we really need more? Will it just end up in this "black hole" labeled - our spending? Why do we think that because we receive a raise that we are to use that "extra" money on ourselves or to increase our "lifestyle"? Because we deserve it? What if we saw that "extra" money every single year as more money to give to the kingdom - to bless others instead of ourselves? What if.
David told me of a guy in his group who makes multiple multiple millions a year. Yes, I said it. I can't fathom it, but I said it. The most unfathomable part is that he complained to them yesterday that he thinks he should get paid more for his outstanding performance this year. Seriously? Would $15 Million be enough? How about $20M? Is there really any amount of money that will fulfill us and satisfy our longing for importance and respect and power and ego? When is enough, enough?
9 comments:
David sounds like good people!!
Awesome post, Shawna. Steven is going to like discussing this topic with me :)
Thanks for sharing. So, so good. I think it is hard to really understand and get this concept without reading the book. Everyone knows this, but conviction and change comes at such a deeper level, and for me, at least, it is a daily conversation I have with myself.
Thanks for your challenging, authentic, counter-cultural words!!
i hear ya, friend. we have been dealing with the same questions for a while too. i remember us all talking about it when you came over to our apt for dinner.
have you read the book "rich christians in an age of hunger"? if not, i highly recommend it. i also just finished another awesome book called "revolution in world missions" that touches on the subject.
i hope you have a great last few days with your momma!
So funny that 'Kristian and Katy' mentioned - "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger". I am currently reading it, and WOW talk about feeling convicted. Your comments so closely paralleled a conversation I had yesterday with a friend. I am still "chewing" on the subject - it sure does get you thinking!
Jenny
Shawna, thanks for sharing. Have you read the book Same Kind of Different As Me? Not exactly the same concept, but makes you think. I just finished it - it's a quick read, and I highly recommend.
Melissa
Once again you strike a chord! Thanks Shawna-I'll have to see if our library has that book!
Great thoughts!!! Makes me want to read the book! ;)
This was a great post...but not 14 days great. Are you sick or something!!?? What's new with you already!!??
Love, the demanding blog reader.
Post a Comment