Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What's On Your Grocery List?

As I was making lunch today, I thought about all of my favorite food items that I use on a weekly basis and thought I would share what's on my weekly grocery list. In New York, and especially in my apartment, our refrigerator is hardly large enough to have a 1/2 gallon of milk AND fruit, so I go to the store each time I need something and then try to use it immediately. There is no storage. These items are all "must have items". David and I have are also trying to be a little healthier in what we eat, so not only are these some of our favorite "staple" items, but they are healthier choices as well. (I'd like to think that, at least)

Here are my top 10 grocery list items:

10. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup WITH Roasted Garlic - love this new discovery (new to me, at least)! So good in any soup, casserole, etc.

9. Pepper Jack cheese - I don't know that it's a "healthier" option, but it spices up any dish and we love it!

8. Sun-dried Tomato Wheat Thins - enough said...gotta try them if you haven't already

8. Turkey meatballs - we have pasta at least once a week (whole wheat, of course) and these turkey meatballs are so good, you really can hardly tell the difference! If my husband will eat them - I promise they are good.

7. Chicken sausage - this is a great breakfast item with some eggs on those mornings you just need something heartier. Emeril's chicken sausage in sun-dried tomato and basil or in jalapeno is so yummy!

6. Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips - so good and I figure they have to be better than potato chips. :) Right?

5. Fresh spinach - good for salad any night and it's a great way to have your "greens". I hardly use any other lettuce now. Throw some strawberries and slivered almonds on there...and there you go!

4. Kashi Go-Lean Crunch cereal - love that crunch!!

3. Homemade salsa ingredients- it's so easy...a few cans of tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, jalapenos, black pepper, and you've got such a fresh and yummy snack! It keeps for several weeks and is SO good.

2. Wasa crackers in Whole Wheat - great substitute for bread and goes great with turkey and pepper jack cheese (put a some spinach leaves on there and even fresh basil - YUM)

and the #1 favorite item I must have on my list each week is ...

1. Liberte` Mediterranee` yogurt - fruit at the bottom (mmm...it's amazing!)

What's on your weekly grocery list? Do tell. :)

3 comments:

Kimber-Leigh said...

Shawna...I'm glad that you can get cilantro in NY!

My list would be very long...but a few staples are currently:
1. Dora the Explorer yogurt (it actually has less sugar than other brands!)
2. colby jack cheese
3. bananas
4. apple juice (can you tell i have a four and two year old?)
5. Earl Grey tea...I have to have my tea!
6. popcorn for our air popper and fresca...our favorite for a movie night! (with netflix, you always need them on hand!)
7. I splurge (diet-wise) on nutella with graham crackers for a snack. yum.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'll have to use this idea on my blog! :)

I love reading your blog and seeing what's going on with your lives. You always have such fun posts, and creative post ideas.

Anonymous said...

Yum- I am going to be checking out some of these.
Our must have are shorter...
Cherry Coke Zero
Fat free milk
Cookie Crisp

That is the list when we don't know what else we need--we always need these!!