Today is my dad's 60th birthday!!! I can't believe it. They, of course, are on their way to Knoxville to see yet another Razorback game this Saturday against Tennessee. I wanted to list a few of my favorite things/memories of my dad...of course I won't be able to list them all.
1. He calls every week just to check in and say I love you
2. He has the BEST stories....just ask him!
3. He always reminds me how proud he is of me and the choices I've made
4. How he speaks so highly of my husband and how he loves my daughter
5. That he is not afraid to wear an Arkansas shirt in the middle of NYC
6. He loves to try and speak Spanish to everyone - even if they are not Latino.
7. How He taught each of us to fear God and to be sensitive to His calling on our lives
8. His Godly wisdom, counsel and insight at ANY hour of the night
9. He drove all the way to Waco one time just to just listen to me and help me process a big decision
10. He has stayed married to my mom for 30 years and remained a devoted father in every way
11. How honest and transparent he is on what God is teaching him
12. He is the definition of fun at any event
13. He is an amazing public speaker and teacher
14. He LOVES to give hugs
15. He always sees the best in me and reminds me, so that I can stay true to who I am.
16. If I ever tried to wear something that was a little revealing or "questionable", all he would say is "Do you think you can wear that and be a Godly woman? If not, then you should probably choose something else." hmmm....
17. He is ALWAYS up for a movie - no matter what time it is or what night it is
18. He never meets a stranger (or now anyone who doesn't know who his children are and that he is a Grandpa)
19. His homemade ice cream is THE best!
20. I love how passionate he is about his God and his family
Feel free to mention some of your favorite memories of my dad! I'm going to tell him to read it later. :)
Dad - Thank you for who you are and who you taught me to be. I love you SO much! Have fun in TN!
10 comments:
My favorite thing about Dennis is how good he always smells. Ummm.
I do love his stories too...
Happy Birthday, Dennis
Gay
He is a FABULOUS story-teller. And never fails to make you laugh.
I love how he sits on the porch to watch severe weather :)
I love how he loves your friends and makes us feel like family!
I love how genuinely excited he always is to hear how things are going.
(And I remember your #9 :) )
Dads are the best...happiest of birthdays to you Dennis! We loved getting to see you a few weeks ago!
I love seeing YOUR love for your Dad in this post, Shawna! I wish I had been a Daddy's Girl. I hope and pray that Grace remains in awe of Matt and they continue to nurture the close bond that they already have.
My favorite Mr. R memory is--Sunday, 5/9/99 (Mother's Day) when he baptized me in front of my entire family at Lakepointe Baptist Church in TX. Matt said that there wasn't a single dry eye among our family members and that it was a wonderful testament to some unbelieving family we had there that were saved later that year. THANK YOU, DENNIS! :)
..well I specically remember the first time that I went over to you parents house, we watched a video of Dennis dancing (shaking his booty) in your brothers high school pep rally that day! I was amazed at how excited he was for the team and how he was willing to dance in front of hundreds of people for fun! yahoo for your amazing family
I love what he has meant to Steven's life and for how BOTH of your parents (and you and David of course) have loved and supported him throughout the years!!
I love that he was willing to be a Dad to me while we were growing up and his prayers for my husband while beating cancer!
Meredith
I love Dennis!
I love how excited he gets when he sees me and even though he probably does that with everybody, it still makes me feel special!
I love that he is genuinely interested in what's going on in our lives!
I love that he and my dad were one of few dads who would wear "My daughter is a Stingerette" hat with our names on the sides to every game and every performance.
I loved having him join us on all of our fun trips and he always joined in the fun.
I love his stories.
I love his willingness to learn from anybody or in any circumstance... especially the difficult ones.
I love that he's willing to try anything.
And I will never forget all the funny memories that we've shared with him (I won't mention them here... but you know!) :)
Happy Birthday Dennis! I love you!
How can I even start to say my 1 favorite thing about Dennis! So, I'll give a few. He gives THE BEST hugs. He always asks how I'm doing and you can tell he really cares. I cherish all my fun memories: trips to colorado, holidays, parties, school prjects, football games, drill team trips...too many others to name here. And I have to agree about the stories too. My favorite one of all time was when he was a paramedic and found the dead old lady in her house...ask him to tell you about it next time you see him.
ahhh - thanks for everyone sharing your favorite things. i'm going to show him how to read it tonight...since they just got back from TN. it means so much to me and i know it will mean SO much to him.
thank you again!!
How truly special all of you are to me and our family. As I read your remarks, all the funny stories come to mind about each of you. I will someday tell them when the time is right. I love you all so much and how your lives have made me more complete as a person, a dad, and some one GOD could use. I thank God for the time we had in our lives together that we can look back and relive and see HIS grace and sense of humor in all that we do. How special it is to know that you ALL have a place in my heart and I pray God will always keep us close.
Post a Comment