Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving Day Parade 2007



A dream of mine has come true this week. For as long as I can remember, my family's Thanksgiving day always began with watching the Thanksgiving Day parade and making a yummy holiday breakfast. Well, this was my first year to experience the glorious parade in person and I could not have asked for better weather and better company. (Although - it would have been so great to have my mom and sister with us.)

Our parade experience actually started on Wednesday evening, when we joined the other thousands of people (literally) to view the balloons getting inflated. It is not something we will ever do again. It was brutal. 

The parade begins at 9am every year, and we woke up at 5:30 to ensure we were there early enough to get "prime" seating for our viewing pleasure. We scored a great picnic bench, perfect to feed and change Kate and to save our feet from standing for the full 5 hours. The only downside was that it was conveniently located in front of the porta-potties. Nice. It was worth it to have a seat, though, and it made for some great people watching too!


The parade was everything I had hoped it would be and more. Seeing Santa in person was the highlight for me and Kate enjoyed a few balloons flying overhead as well. We watched it from the Upper West Side, so we left around 11:30am and trekked  back through Central Park, enjoying the fall foliage, managing to still get home and cook up a grand Thanksgiving feast.
 
I hope you had wonderful Thanksgiving Day with your friends and family. Let me be the first to tell you that Santa Clause has come to town!! Let the Christmas Season begin!


In case you're anxious to see more - here's the entire slide show from our Thanksgiving Day. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

HOW COMPLETELY FUN & SOOOOO NEW YORK!!!!! I LOVE IT!
I have to tell you that I am so jealous that you get to live in the Big Apple. I have always wanted to live there (at least for a few years). It is just such an amazing city! It is fun to live vicariously through you guys! THANKS! :)
Love,
Jen
P.S. Where did Dan get Blue Bell ice cream? I think Matt and I put on about 5 pounds each the last few days eating it all up in Dallas. We can't find it in Colorado, though. :(

Anonymous said...

Aww, looks like you guys had a great time! I noticed in the pics how you managed to get the parade on a sunny day....has that EVER happened before??

Kristian and Katy said...

kate looks so cute in the family pic!
im so glad yall had a blast. i cant believe you cooked. i will need to get some tips from you.

Happy Christmas season!!!

~k

Nat Pat said...

hey shawna! so good to catch up on your blog. little kate is precious! i know you're having fun with her. enjoyed seeing your pictures from the parade.

Kimber-Leigh said...

such great pictures of the parade! and thanks for the fridge picture...I'm impressed with the organization within :)

miss you!