This morning, Kate and I went for a walk in Central Park. I love morning walks in the park - it just makes me happy. Of course it's good exercise, but it's also GREAT people watching, and I think to myself....Hmmm..what's their story? How can they be here at 10am on a work day? Do they work? Are they independently wealthy or maybe unemployed? Are they a professional "jogger" or something? Maybe they are a student and just haven't started school yet? Anyway...that's not really the point of this blog.
So, I'm walking in the park on the East side, and as many of you know, you can see the super, beautiful and architecturally inspiring high rise buildings towering over the trees. They really are all very impressive. Anyone that lives in New York knows that those apartments facing the park are at least a million or more above the price that the rest of us pay to live in this crazy place...just because of the view. It's a good one - I admit, but how do you put a price on that? Today, I was filled with envy as I saw - not the park facing windows - but the terraces and tree lined rooftops. Oh, how lovely that would be, to just sit out on your terrace overlooking the park and read or write or just chat with friends. I was in a daze looking at them that I literally almost ran into another "walker" with the stroller. Oops. Sorry about that.
Ironically, the song playing on my ipod at that moment was from a Shane and Shane song that says, "Your grace is sufficient for me, your strength is made perfect, when I am weak. All that I cling to, I lay at your feet. Your grace is sufficient for me." (also can be found in scripture...ha) Wow. It made me think...His grace allows for so much in my life and I am continually concerned with others and things that I don't have. Convicting.
Then I asked myself - "what am I clinging to right now"? What do I need to lay at his feet? It sounds funny, but my job came to mind. I think I'm scared to make a decision about not going back to work because there is part of me that is holding on to it so tightly and I don't know why. Then I thought about my future. I cling to "knowing" where we will be in a year, as if that is possible for any of us. But, my "plan" and my need to "know" is one that I can easily cling to - just to make me feel better. Interesting isn't it? What are you clinging to? You don't have to answer...but it's good that as we realize what we are clinging to...that we continue to do just that - lay it down. He has already met all of our needs.
His grace is sufficient.
What would our lives look like if we all truly lived by that statement? I wonder...
1 comment:
Thankyou, Shawna. This really made me think. I've definitely been clinging to safety...what other people think...and my own idea of what the future should look like. I'm so glad God knows just what we need at the right time.
Post a Comment