Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Shopping with Julia

Today will go down as one of my favorite days in New York - ever. I just went shopping, literally, with my all-time favorite actress. Yes, I talked to her. She talked to me. She met Kate. Kate waved at her. She laughed and smiled and wished us a glorious day. Oh my. I'm not kidding.

I just met JULIA ROBERTS!!!!!!!! In person. TALKED with the woman. Laughed with the woman. It was better than any picture could have been. 

For those of you who know me - you know how huge this is. Well, it would be a big deal for most of us. 

Kate and I, my sister-in-law, Adriana, and her son, Samuel, were at Giggle on the Upper East Side. It's just a few blocks from my apartment. I registered there. It's a lovely and fun children's store. Obviously. So, I thought Adriana and I would just stop by for a few minutes and check out some things. We were only 2 of 4 people in the store at the time and then I look up from getting some lotion and there she was. Julia. Standing right by me with her husband or boyfriend - whoever - no one cares. Sad to say.

It took me only a second and I knew it was her. So, we watched her and kept shopping for a while. I checked out with my one item. As we were leaving, Adriana said, "let's just go say hi". She was alone shopping and I thought - I CANNOT let this opportunity pass me by. So, we just walked over with our strollers and the conversation went like this. 

S: "Hi - You are my all-time favorite actress and I have to just say hello."
J: "Well, Hi!" (laugh and look down at stroller)
S:  "This is Kate. Kate - say hi, Julia." (Kate smiled and waved as if on cue - perfect!)
J: "Well, hello Kate!" (very enthusiastically with her large and beautiful smile) 
S: "Isn't this store so great!?" (making small talk - pathetic!)
J: "Yes, it is"
S: "Well, thank you for visiting with us. We just had to come and say hi. Happy shopping!" (nervous giggle)
J: "Thank you and have a GLORIOUS day!" (smiling just as friendly as ever)

I walked away...freaking out inside. It was thrilling. Sigh. Sigh again.

17 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

WOW! I'm freaking out and I didn't even meet her! How cool! Like I've said before, "L-O-V-E celebrity sightings!" I'm so glad you talked to her! Awesome!

P.S. Was it her hubby Danny Moder (sp?) or some other dude?

andrea said...

when i see celebs here i never say anything and don't even really think twice about it, but i would definitely say something to julia if i saw her. oh my gosh i would be freaking out. imagine if you and i were there together... oh gosh. that would be a sight... especially the moment right after you walk out the door!

kinsey said...

love this story! and so impressed that you talked to her...why not?!?! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh- I am freaking out. I cannot BELIEVE you met Julia ROBERTS AHHHHHHHHHH

Kristyn said...

Thats AHHHMAZING!!! She's my favorite too. How fun!!!!

Kristian and Katy said...

oh.
my.
goodness.

im dying.
really.

this is really not fair that you saw her without me.

also- so weird. i went in giggle today for the first time ever.
to think she was there just a few hours before...

Shawna said...

i think i'm freaking out more now than i was at the time. i am such a dork! oh my gosh. i just talked to julia roberts today. so crazy. not sure i can sleep.

Sara said...

great story! I am proud you said something, I always chickened out in LA..and do regret some that I missed...wonderful!

kelly said...

hi shawna! this is kelly from collins 2north! i came to hear about your celebrity sighting that courtney talked about on her blog! guess what??? i saw julia roberts one time, too - only i wasn't as brave as you were to talk to her!!! i saw her in a restaurant in the cayman islands. she was staying @ the same hotel as we were. this was a while back, but she's was so beautiful & natural! she's my all time fav, too!!!
happy day to you, my freshman friend!

kelly garrett harp

Christine said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!! Love it! Could picture every moment, and I know how you felt. I was that dorky when I met the mom from Family Ties in the Smithsonian one time, I mean how lame is that? I would definitely have been giggling nervously if I met Julia. You are so lucky! Way to go Kate for waving on cue - you have taught her well! :)

Allie said...

VERY fun. Jealous!

Becksta said...

AAAH! Sooo fun!!! That's is too cool :) Good for you- I'm a HUGE dork w/ celebs and thinks that's awesome you talked to her! Think of how hard you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't stop! And what a fun story for Kate when she gets older!

FordeFam said...

Amazing that she was soooo down to earth!!! How neato is that!!!

Jeremy and Melissa said...

So fun!!! I love Julia Roberts - and I am so proud of you for going up and introducing Kate! :)

Stephanie said...

that is so exciting and i am so proud of kate & her amazing performance. i can hear you telling kate this story for years to come! have you slept yet?

.kp. said...

sorry im late...been out of blog land this week.

how FUN!!!

did her real personality match her actress one?

you go Kate! makin your momma proud.

Kimber-Leigh said...

how fun is that?!?!?!

what a fun memory that will be!