This Saturday, David and I went to a parenting conference led by Mary DeMuth, a phenomenal author and mother. I have heard her speak before briefly at our church, but I was a little hesitant to go because we just needed a nice, relaxing family day. Isn't that always how Satan tries to attack us when God wants to do some great things? Well, we went and God moved. It was a refreshing time of encouragement, of sharpening, of eye-opening, and of spurring one another on to continue this mission of parenting in a postmodern society.
Part of the discussion was how to just slow down with your children and "be". I don't do this well. I really never have. I was always just as busy in high school, in college, after college and in NY after marriage with a career in "corporate america" - I found there really is no such thing as "free time" or "down time" on a regular basis. I found myself, after making the decision to stay home with Kate, creating a busy schedule to "justify" my decision as a stay-at-home mom. I was trying so hard to show people that I wasn't that Madison avenue mom with shopping bags in one hand and Starbucks in the other, so I filled my time to the brim with anything you can think of - even under the name of "ministry". Recently, I have realized through friends and just listening to God that it is time for me to slow down. Enjoy the down time. Read. Breathe. Stare. Listen. Say no. Be.
A few words of truth that Mary spoke at the conference really challenged me when it came to parenting and I realized that the patterns I create now for our family and the role model I am for Kate in this area will only prove more true in time.
She said, "So many believe that production equals worth. If we are addicted to our worth in what we do, we won't be able to stay still long enough to be filled up. Can you trust God with your time as much as with your productivity?"
Oh - how I needed to hear that! Do I trust God with my time as much as with my productivity? Do I trust that His will is being accomplished in me, even when I'm reading to Kate or singing the ABC's for the 14th time or running up the block to fulfill an errand? Is it necessary to do everything that I think is necessary? This is my goal for April and then I pray it continues from there. I pray that I will fill my days with intentional things, yes, but with some built-in time to just be. Be with Kate. Be with David. Be with the family. Be with God. Be with me. Be.
7 comments:
great post and great encouragement!! i'm glad the conference was so good.
i need to learn this lesson too.
kate is so incredibly blessed to have you and david as parents.
So encouraging. Just what I needed to read! Thanks for posting.
Wow, what a great lesson for us all! I definitely need to be reminded that "productivity does not equal worth" - thanks so much for sharing the insight with us :)
Very encouraging! This is my first year not to work, and as much as I love staying at home, it's been a struggle to adjust!
so good to hear shawna! i'm glad you guys made it to the conference...it sounds great! i feel the same way...and am often surprised at how much a little time of what seems like "doing nothing" (reading, playing "I Spy"...just wait until Kate's ready for that one!...playing pretend) with my children provides rich memories and really brings joy to all of us.
wish we could have some "me time" together more often!
Thanks for the great post and encouragement. I think that many of us can definitely relate. Great reminder.
So true! God's been bringing me out of an addiction to fill my life with stuff-not necessarily bad stuff, just stuff that makes my days and nights and weekends full full full!
I read the book "Breathe" by Keri Wyatt Kent the end of last year and it just encouraged me in my decisions to slow down and really put my family first!
Good for you, Shawna. Great to learn this stuff now before your family gets bigger!
Post a Comment