Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Reflection

Today is the third day that I am officially a stay-at-home mom. It has been a good week, for the most part, and I have prayed that each day is lived on mission and with eternal purpose. It's strange not having to be somewhere at a certain time and not having to answer to someone, so to speak. Although the more I think about it - how many times was I working in corporate america, and it was just another day I did my job and really didn't live intentionally even though I was "employed"? Hmmm...something to think about.

Well, this morning I met with a few other mothers, as we are starting a weekly morning prayer time. We are going to focus on praying scripture over our children and praying for Godly characteristics to be formed in their lives. Of course, we play an integral part in that, don't we? I can't pray that Kate be compassionate, if I am not a compassionate person and example for her.

After our coffee/prayer time, I went and bought a mirror for Kate. She is at the stage that she LOVES to see herself in the mirror. Interesting isn't it? That's actually a developmental stage - to love looking at yourself in the mirror. I mean she LOVES it. It doesn't matter if she is screaming or tired or hungry...it ALWAYS makes her stop and just smile or cackle when she realizes she's seeing herself or even her mommy through this mirror.
It made me think today, as I watched her, that my prayer is for her to always love what she sees in that reflection. That she knows she is beautiful no matter what and that she knows what reflection we are put on this earth to show to others. That at a certain time in her life, as God pursues her heart - that soon He will be that reflection.

My dear friend, Jes Looney, told me last week as she affirmed my decision to stay home with Kate, "Shawna, you have been given the responsibility to be Jesus to Kate, not someone else." What powerful words. What a powerful description of my "job" now and what a glorious, yet demanding responsibility that I will never master, but a goal I will always work towards with His grace and wisdom. That has stuck with me every day since that conversation, and will continue to forever. That's what it's all about. That's the reflection I want Kate to see. That's the reflection I want to see for myself.

What do you see? What do you want to see? Just something to think about.

7 comments:

Christine said...

That made me tear up a little, Shawna. I think because for so much of my life I was striving to see something in that mirror and it wasn't usually what I wanted. So I think it's beautiful that you're praying that for Kate from her earliest days.

Christine said...

Your post reminds me of this quote from the book Captivating that I read recently...

"What if you have a genuine and captivating beauty that is marred only by your striving?"

A Looney Life said...

I am continually amazed at how our culture de-values stay at home moms when it is my most valuable job you could have for your children and family!! I am so pumped for you and your precious family. Being home with Kate will allow you to think about her, pray specifically for her so much more than if you were working in corperate america. She is going to have a great model and see the reflection of Jesus by watching your daily life! Much love :)

Honeycutt Family said...

Shawna,
Awesome, awesome post.
It is such a huge responsibility, yet I am so honored to try and raise Grace up to know and act like our Heavenly Father. It is humbling.
I am so glad that you decided to stay home and that your husband supports the decision.
I highly recommend "Captivating" if you haven't read it yet. It reminded me of your post (like Christine).
In Him,
Jen

Angel2 said...

I am always so encouraged by your heart for the Lord- you have a sensitivity that I desire!

P.S. I don't think I'm out of the "look at myself in the mirror" phase. Should I be worried?

olivia and henry said...

shawna,
the Lord is going to bless and honor you in ways you never imagined before. i am so thrilled for you as you take on this new and most amazing title of a "stay-at-home-mom" ;)
i have loved every minute with olivia and henry, and consider myself so blessed because i get to spend every single day with two precious children...two of my very best friends.
bless you! you look gorgeous and baby kate is adorable!!!

FordeFam said...

It is so hard to stay mindful of our tasks at home! I take it for granted too frequently!!! I am so glad that you are reminding us that it is something precious that we can look forward to each day! It is sooo true that we are to be the witness to our own children! Amazing and wonderful!!! I love reading Deut. 6:4-14!!! This takes effort and is not easy!!! Thanks for this post!