I honestly do not know how David did it all. He worked sun up to sun down and then some to move my parents and to take care of all of us for 2 weeks- most of the time being the only one lifting and carrying and driving anywhere. On top of all of that, he managed to leave some time at the very end of the this crazy holiday for he and I to get away one night before heading back to NYC.
Sigh. I breathe more deeply just thinking about it all over again.
I believe you could say that I wept when he told me that he had planned a night away for us at the Broadmoor for my birthday. An entire 24 hours, just he and I, away from it all. One thing I definitely realize with new meaning every year is that any trip is made even sweeter by the emotional and physical need for it. This was the first time in 15 months that he and I had a night away together without Kate and... it was so sweet. So so sweet.
We walked and breathed the fresh mountain air. We listened to the silence. Ahh -the bliss of silence while holding the hand of another, just content to ... be. We took pictures. Enjoyed nature. Read. Relaxed at the spa. Watched the fire as we drifted in and out of a daze. Laughed and reflected and talked. Ate fine food. Slept. A lot. It's amazing what 24 hours can do for the body and soul.
The view from our suite by day.
The view by night.
After sleeping in (for those of you, like me, that can't remember, that is what happens when no one wakes you up at a certain time - yea - it had been a while) and enjoying a delicious breakfast, we drove back to greet my Auntie Barbara and cousin, Jeanie (visiting from China) and to spend a fun day with family.
One of the best birthdays I can remember in a while. What a perfect way to bring in the New Year!
7 comments:
i love that david knows and loves you so well and knew just what you needed for your birthday. so glad it was a good one and you got to sleep in!! happy late birthday sweet friend.
NO WAY!! This is amazing!! And I feel sad that I don't know any of this yet.
What a perfect gift for you.
Way to go, David!!!
How wonderful! Perfect. Gosh, that place is breathtaking. Well done, Mr. Sullivan!
so perfect and so perfectly timed. we drove through the broadmoor the night we drove into colorado...all lit up for Christmas. it was beautiful. i'm so glad that you two had time to enjoy it together.
So great! I think I cried when I heard you guys were getting to go there because there cannot be two more deserving people!
It looked beautiful!!
what an amazing trip! it looks so wonderful!
Hey Shawna--love the updates on your blog and glad to see David knows how to really take care of you! HAHA Just wanted to check in and let you know that Brad and I are coming to NYC at the end of Jan and we would love to connect with you if we can.
Post a Comment