
Every year there is a tradition in NYC where the Circus comes to town...well, Madison Square Garden to be specific. Evidently the tunnels into the City are not designed to allow the large trucks that carry the elephants and there is too much weight, so they have to take them out and physically walk them through the tunnel.
It has become a huge event in the City and people get together to drink and then watch these animals walk through the streets of Manhattan at midnight. WELL...we went last night. We lined up at 34th street and the parade began. It only took a few minutes, surprisingly, and sure enough the elephants showed up and marched on proudly to the Garden - trunk to tail.
How hysterical is that!? People were cheering so loud, you would have thought it was a celebrity or that they were going to be on TV...nope...it was all for those 8 elephants (i think that's how many). What a memory!
And...I would not be fair to the horse lovers out there if I failed to mention that the stallions and ponies and even the miniature ponies trailed behind the "stars". Police were lining the streets and were prepared for a riot to touch the elephants, I guess. This will for sure go down as one of our unique New York memories!
2 comments:
How funny! That elephant is such a copy cat....I TOTALLY have that same shirt. :)
Only in New York, huh?
Post a Comment