Thursday, March 1, 2007

Broken

Sorry I haven't written in a while. We moved into our new place in the City last weekend and we still don't have internet up and running. (but we will this weekend!) So, I will send pictures as soon as I can.

This last Sunday, David and I helped out on the communion team. Our church takes communion every week and I have grown to appreciate the importance of this act every Sunday. Here's how it works: there is one team of 2 people in front (always one guy and one girl) and two teams of 2 in the back of the church. Each time we help out, I have the bread/crackers and David has the wine/juice.

Why am I writing about communion, you ask? Well, it hits me every time I am standing up in front of the body of the church with the basket of crackers (in my case) in hand. I look over all of the faces out there and I am struck with humility about what is about to take place. As the prayer ends, the music starts and people make their way to the front to eat and drink out of the baskets we possess. As each individual breaks off a cracker, I say to them, "His body was broken for you". As they move on to David, he says, "His blood was poured out for you". As the people move past, you can imagine saying these statements each time - over and over for an entire song.

Some look at you in the eye when you say these powerful words; others just focus on the cracker or the dipping into the juice/wine. Every once in a while, you really sense that it has "spoken" to someone in a way that nothing else ever has, and it got me thinking. Isn't this what we are called to do? To look at our neighbors, our friends, our parents, our husband/wife, our children, even the strangers on the street and live in a way that our life states: "His body was broken for you. His blood was poured out for you."

I get tears in my eyes each time. How humbling -- isn't it? I think about a friend that I have had a disagreement with or an arguement I've had with my husband or colleague, and then I think about the fact that we are called to look them in the eyes and say "His body was broken for you. His blood was poured out for you."

At the end of communion, the crowds are seated after being served and it is down to David and I. We look at each other in the eye as I hold the basket for him and he for me. Everything that has gone on during the week seems to fade away as I say to my husband, "His body was broken for you." and he returns "His blood was poured out for you." Then we sit. I am overwhelmed with this pure act of unselfishness and servant hood -- the very example of Christ.

Who needs to hear that from you today? Let's not wait any longer. There is such power in these words.

"His body was broken for you. His blood was poured out for you."

1 comment:

Christine said...

BEAUTIFUL post, Shawna. Miss you!