Just to give you a brief update on what is going on this week in our lives:
1. Elevators: I suppose I should make that singular. Elevator. That's better. Our building just has one. We have always chosen to live in a smaller building in the big city. No huge high rises for us. We have just found them more quaint, less expensive, and as close to a home as you can get with a little more character inside. Our current building has six floors and one elevator. We love our building, and it is a very old building. So, the elevator is one that you have to open the door to before you can actually walk in. None of this automatic business. Just a few months ago we got a phone wired in there for emergencies. Safety first!
So, you can imagine what life is like with a double stroller and two kids trying to get into an elevator that you first must open the door and wedge your stroller through - just right - before the quick moving elevator slams shut and moves you to your desired destination. But, I am not one to complain. In the City - it is a luxury to have an elevator at all. I am very thankful.
We are on the 4th floor.
Our management company slipped a note under each door a few weeks ago (while we were still away) saying that we will be receiving a new elevator. A modernized one. Whooohooh! It's 2011, so that is good news. SO... that means we will be WITHOUT an elevator for 8-10 weeks starting in mid-September.
Gulp.
Did I mention our laundry and our trash are in the basement? Did I mention I have two kids and two strollers and we have to get out everyday for fresh air or we all go crazy?
Gulp.
On the positive side, I am looking forward to bonding with our neighbors and several have generously offered to help in any way. And, our building is providing a 24 hour doorman to help carry things for us. So, that is wonderful.
Gulp.
2. Earthquakes: I am sure you have heard and are tired of hearing about the earthquake on the Northeast. The first one since 1880 something? Yea - that one.
I was at home cooking, Kate was playing joyfully and Wesley sleeping peacefully. God was so gracious. We did not feel a thing. Friends all texted checking on each other. Several friends were in their swaying buildings with things falling off the wall, but overall - no one seemed to be seriously injured. It definitely was a bit unsettling when I could not get a hold of David though.
I was watching the news and many buildings including the one right across the street from where David works was evacuated and out on the street (per the news cameras) I could not call out to check on him. I could, however, send texts, to which I was getting no reply. Sigh.
So, after 20 minutes or so, I checked my email. David was just diligently working on the ump-teen floor he works on and didn't feel a thing. He didn't know it was such a big deal, so he didn't think to check in with me and he doesn't get cell phone access up in his building. Funny now. Not so funny during the time we could not communicate.
We are now coming up with an updated emergency plan for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
3. Hurricanes: Ahh - this brings me to the last bit of news for this week. One week brings so much evidently. Yes, we are preparing for a hurricane now. As if one natural disaster was not enough - let's try two! That will be fun.
We have bought over 100 water bottles, stocked up on batteries and flash lights and canned food, and are praying for the best. My dad said to fill up a bath tub with water so that we have it - just in case. The City is unprecedentedly shutting all public transportation down. No subways. No trains. No buses. No ferry boats. Restaurants and grocery stores will be closed. Church will be closed.
Think about New York City for ONE day with most everything closed. Almost unimaginable.
Then think about how crazy it is to be living on an island with NO way of getting out. We don't have a car. We do have prayers and are praying that the worst will not hit the City or the outer boroughs. Hospitals and nursing homes in low lying areas are already evacuated. But, even if we wanted to get out... we can't. Stop and think about the last time you had absolutely no control or way out. Yea.
So, here's hoping and praying for the best for everyone in the path of Irene!
Now, you know what our family will be doing this weekend. See you on the other side of the storm!

1 comment:
Be safe!! Praying for you all!
Post a Comment