Saturday, August 27, 2011
calm before the storm
The City shuts down at noon. All public transportation will cease to operate. Restaurants, grocery stores, markets, Starbucks - all closed as of this morning.
The City that never sleeps - will be quiet for 36-48 hours at least.
I've been thinking lately about how to prepare. How do you prepare for something you full don't know or understand? A storm that is more powerful than any I've seen before. Knowing there is a chance we will only experience a part of the storm and that is enough to cause tragedy. That's powerful.
Yet, a storm that can be quieted by a single word from its Creator. That's more power than I can comprehend.
We have stocked up on water, food, flashlights and batteries like I mentioned earlier. Charging cell phones and laptops. I have the a/c on in every room cooling it down in case we are without electricity for several days. I vacuumed. I did laundry last night. Dishes are clean.
I find myself a bit anxious this morning - not feeling like there is enough I can do. It feels plain silly to just sit around and wait. I clearly don't handle waiting...well.
Our family will all take showers and baths in a few hours in case we aren't able to for a while. Kids are out with David this morning at a playground, since we are more than likely not going to be outside for 48 hours.
Then it hit me. I am Martha.
In the view of a storm - even in the calm - I am Martha. Busy. Working. Cleaning. Preparing tangibly because that is where control can be obtained. But, I realized the preparation that really matters is - prayer. Quiet. Reflection. Heart preparation. Sitting at the feet of Jesus.
I quieted the news and turned the lights off. Turned on my Valley of Vision CD and knelt in submission to my Shelter. My Refuge. My Calm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Um conviction! Because this entire post I'm thinking, "WOW! Way to go Shawna! Way to be prepared!" Apparently I am Martha too :)
Thanks for sharing! Praying for you all!
Post a Comment