Friday, May 6, 2011

the view.


This week as I visit my family in Colorado, I am given the greatest of blessings - time to sit in quiet and pray, read, reflect. As all mommas know, that is one to be treasured and enjoyed when given the opportunity. Today, I am sitting and reading. Stopping every few pages and looking up to see the landscape around me. The view. Pausing to reflect on the women in my family who have sat in this very same place over the past 20 years doing the same thing. Praising God for the perspective, the reminders, the view, the pioneer mothers that have gone before me and those who continue to walk out authentic, raw faith in my presence.
***
It's the summer after my Freshman year at Baylor University and I am anxiously giddy about a summer internship in the youth ministry of a mega-church downtown Denver. Not only am I able to serve in ministry and disciple young women but I am able to live life with my mentor and
grandmother. Living life with a mom of six children - some who have chosen to pursue Christ and some who have walked away. A mother and grandmother who has walked the road of burying a husband - her one love - and the unthinkable, a child. A mother and grandmother who seeks the Lord daily, hourly, minute by minute and reminds those she loves to do the same.
There was nothing but love - living in the humble two-bedroom apartment with my Grandma. Simplicity at it's finest. Not large enough for two to pass down the same hallway. A stove that I swear is the next step up from a pot dangling over a fire. No dishwasher. No air conditioning. Simple. Humble. Completely enough for my Grandma and a grandchild guest. Reality is that it is more than enough for her. Jesus is enough for her. Her children know it. Her grandchildren know it. I know it.
I go off to my job each day and she spends time every morning either at the breakfast table or out on the concrete sidewalk connecting to her back door, praying, reading, praying. Neighbors on either side of her and yet she earnestly seeks and finds solitude in time with her Lord. Her view - the mountains straight ahead, a church on her right.
I imagine her looking up and seeing these mountains stretching beyond the unattractive gas station directly in front of her. I imagine she gave great praise on the very sight of these spectacular creations. I imagine on days when the world was a scary and unknown place, she would look to these mountains and be reminded that her Savior's thoughts and ways were higher than hers. That He had a purpose in everything. That He ultimately was working for her good and for His glory. I imagine this view was a reminder to her of the mountains and valleys along life's journey and a reminder of the ultimate reward awaiting her in eternal life in the presence of Her Redeemer.
***

Now, over 10 years later in the same place. New life grows. Grandma has been gone for five years. The new tenants of the same humble apartment are my parents. My mom. My dad. Grandma's daughter. Funny how life goes, isn't it? A full circle of sorts. This simple, humble apartment is now great provision for my parents. Just enough for them in this season.
Each room is a reminder of the legacy that lived here before us. Each tight space and outdated appliance is a reminder that all we need is God. Not more on this earth, but more that is above. High above. That He was more than enough for my Grandma and He is more than enough for my mom and yes...He is more than enough for me.
As I sit and ponder the generations and the many changes that have taken place, I am reminded that our God remains unchanged. His grace is neverending and His love is steadfast. His purpose, strong and true. His Word, our rock. I am grateful for the mothers in my family that have passed on a legacy of true reliance on our Savior.
Especially as Mother's Day approaches, I am especially grateful that I have a mother who continues to choose a view that is only possible with the Spirit's help. A view that extends beyond her current circumstances and trials. Her current tears and pain. She has a view that even stretches above the unattractive gas station directly in front of her and the glorious mountains. It's an unwavering view. A view to Her Provider, Her Redeemer, Her Lord.
By God's grace, I pray I am able to keep the same View and follow in the legacy of the mothers before me.


3 comments:

Stephanie said...

beautifully said.

Stephanie Marie said...

Such a beautiful and sweet post! I am so blessed to be apart of our family and to have been able to watch our grandmother, mother and now you, my sweet sister as Godly examples in my own life! Love you dearly and love seeing that picture of Grandma!!

Cheryl said...

Your words stir my heart...reminder of the legacy of dependence on the one true, steadfast, PERSON of God in our lives! Thank you for your reflections...so happy you were here to experience this again...