Wednesday, March 23, 2011

march showers.



Oh how I love that Spring brings new life (though it hasn't quite arrived in NYC yet - boo!) and it's just the perfect season for a baby shower and a wedding shower, don't you think?

I was privileged to be apart of some happy days this month. The first was a wedding shower for my brother-in-law, Dan and his now wife, Ashley. It was a lot of work to host solo, but really fun to use it as a reason to work on new projects. Lucky you - I thought I would share some fun *affordable* ideas and resources for parties. I will most definitely be re-using some of them myself.

For starters - I used THIS DARLING BLOG post as my overall inspiration for the theme and presentation. (Thanks Katy for the find!) So, it really doesn't compare, but a girl can't be blamed for tryin' to create some country in the big city.



Invitations: Using my new Christmas present, I sewed vintage looking fabric purchased at a craft store in Harlem for $1/yard onto the top of card stock cards that I already had from years (literally) ago. I sewed the fabric in a ruffle just on the top and got the idea from this darling blog. I have since seen invitations with the ruffle on just one side as well as on both the top and bottom. Then I just printed the words in a vintage font on our home printer and used those scrapbooking shears to create a "torn" look.


For the table:

Here is a charger I picked up at said craft store for $2 and then painted the inside with chalkboard paint. Then used it to introduce the table. I have two of them and am keeping them out because I love them so much.


For flowers and place cards detailing each food item, I used mason jars and placed them near each dish.

Nothing like a salad bowl to keep the beverages cool.

The table.
Then: I used some old frames to display the wedding invitation hung by clothes pins and twine. Didn't cost a thing!

Banners: A new favorite for me. I made this one below by printing letters and using my circle cutter and then just taping on a ribbon to hang above the table.


This banner I printed off on cardstock and glued it other cardstock, punched holes and strung twine through it to hang. I thought it was a fun idea to have their wedding date up, but you could put names or a birthday - anything! Love it.

Another Decoration: The FOOF ball. Makes me happy to say it. It was a perfect addition to the wedding shower.Completely made of yes, you guessed it... coffee filters! Believe it or not, we had a box (still do) of coffee filters we ordered off Amazon.com that were too big for our machine and well, I guess I could have returned them, but this project seemed like a better option to me! Just looks bridal to me. You can find the tutorial HERE.


Easy Addition: Yellow and white candy set out in votives from Target and placed on some of my favorite little plates I found for $1.50 each at the craft store. We may not have Hobby Lobby, but we have Harlem!




Then, we hosted a Sip N See baby shower for a sweet new friend here in the City and her three month old baby girl.

Gifts: One of my favorite ideas for a baby gift and one that makes a darling decoration for a baby shower is this one-of-a-kind onesie. Think ruffle from the invitations and put it on a onesie. Love that. Hostess #1 made these for this particular shower and I think she did a fabulous job. Three ruffles around the bootie and one ruffle around the neck. Love it.


Then, Hostess #2 made these darling fabric flowers that she made into hair clips for the baby. I believe the tutorial can still be found on Jones Design Company blog. Fabulous!


Activity: I love this blessing jar that hostess #2 also made. I love how the paper around the jar is added to each mail tag to coordinate.


Favors: At the wedding shower, I made chocolate covered pretzels. Easy and delish! For the "sip n see" baby shower, I simply wrapped up a tea bag and called it a day. Now that's what I call simple!

Blogs: Some of my "go to" blogs for great ideas and DIY projects are:


**If you have a favorite idea or inspiration blog, please leave a comment and share!**

Thanks for coming. Hope you found an idea to take with you!


6 comments:

Kristian and Katy said...

You did an AWESOME job!!! Everything is so adorable. No doubt all honorees felt so special. Wish I could have been there.

Christine said...

Stop it right now! I am SWOONING! Amazing job Shawna, SO creative! Love the coffee filter foof, the adorable garlands made with card stock...everything! And also loving that cute pic of the two kids in the sidebar. Love your little family :)

Stephanie Marie said...

So adorable!!! You did SO good!!! love every detail :)

Anonymous said...

love these ideas-and that you did them! Fabulous! Between you and Sara I've got lots of creativity buzzing all around me!

maryh said...

I think you should be a party planner! The shower looks amazing! I especially love the invitations with the ruffle!

Unknown said...

wow. i LOVE the invitations so much. what amazing details...