Sunday, February 21, 2010

There's a First for Everything

Last week was our first ER experience with sweet Kate. I am sure every parent remembers their first. I am praying there won't be, but I am not naive to think this will be our only time on this journey of parenthood.

Thankfully, I am writing this after a week has passed and everything looks like it's going to be OK. But, the past few weeks have been a bit scary and emotional, to say the least. After six days of having fever ranging from 102 - 105, the tests concluded that our baby girl has a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics are helping at this point but the journey to recovery is a bit slower than I would have wanted and a bit more painful than I expected.

Here is Kate and Daddy waiting for the Dr. to come.


Sweet sick baby girl.

We were SO incredibly thankful for our phenomenal pediatric ER - complete with stuffed animals to "take pictures" with (i.e. x-rays), Elmo movies and cute Tiger gowns.

Kate watching a movie while getting her antibiotics through her IV.


After six hours, we were able to come home and we were so grateful. It made me think and pray for those families who don't have the luxury of coming home with their babies after just six hours and an antibiotic. Humbling.

Kate is holding her sweet little hand where there IV was and continued to for the next few days, bless her heart. Our sweet neighbors, Chase and Jackson came over to welcome her and cheer her up. A HUGE thank you to some dear friends, who blessed us with dinner in the crock pot and a completely clean kitchen upon our arrival at home!!

Such community. Such generosity. Such thoughtfulness.


There's that "Kate smile"! She is sitting with her friends she got at the ER and the sweet card made by her sweet friend, Jackson, next door.


Thank you for all of those who prayed and lifted up Kate on our behalf. There is nothing more comforting as a parent than knowing that God is in ultimately in control of every situation - good and bad, that He has promised to give you everything to help you through trial after trial, and that He has blessed you with friends and family who feel it a great privilege to intercede on your behalf time and time again.




5 comments:

Kimber-Leigh said...

oh...precious little kate. so glad that things are looking better; i know those are scary moments for a mommy :) i'm thankful you guys have such a great ER to rely on. miss you!

Stephanie said...

oh, i am so glad she on the mend. it is so sad to see her sick.

whitney said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry you guys had to visit the ER, but I'm glad Kate is getting better.
We had that first ER visit a few months ago... not fun, so I feel your pain.

Becky Fenn said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that - I hope that Kate is feeling much better!!! I remember how scary it was when Natalie had her UTI and not knowing why the fever would never go away....

Honeycutt Family said...

Ouch! I'm so glad she is ok! How scary for you and David!