Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Row, Row, Row Your Boat



This past weekend, we spent a good amount of time in Central Park as a family, enjoying some new things. On Friday morning, we took out a row boats - something that has been on my list of "to-do's" for quite a while. It was even more fun than I had imagined. We took about 300 pictures from the day (not exaggerating), but here are just a few to highlight the memories.














At one point, I wanted a turn at rowing - just for fun, so David and I switched places.




I loved it. It felt good and fun and freeing to be rowing. I had a new perspective and my primary responsibility changed from watching Kate to watching scenery and directing the boat.


Not a bad place, I thought, until a few minutes later when David looked at me and gently asked, "Are you ready to change back?"

I replied that I am great at rowing and would love to keep doing it to which he responded kindly but seriously, "Well, I am a man and I don't like having a woman row my boat."


I busted out laughing. It caught me so off guard.

That was the quote of the day. I must say - biblically, I can't argue. Not that it mattered, but as I looked around, I noticed amazingly there was not a single woman rowing if a man was also in the same boat. Interesting picture. Good reminder.

I happily went back to my initial seat in the boat and enjoyed every minute of it as I was navigated and led - just as it ought to be, I think. It was good to be reminded that he does enjoy leading our family in every way and he does it well.
And, despite my tendencies time and time again to try and take those oars back in our marriage, I am thankful that his strong leadership prevails with a Godly grace and gentle correction.

Thankful for that and for the fun that we had as a family while enjoying this charming City in which we live.





6 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

Great, great post Shawna!!!

Thanks for the reminder about letting Matt lead. I conveniently forget to do that sometimes!

vanessa said...

What a beautiful little adventure you all had!
I agree w/ Jen, great reminder...a must for my bossy self. ;)

Christine said...

What a wonderful thing to do! I've always seen those rowboats and wanted to steal one and take it out for a spin :) I love that you do things like this in the city. Also love your side ponytail and adorable dress! And that last photo shows such contrast of NYC, the oar and then the city skyline. Very nice.

Stephanie Marie said...

so jealous! That is on my list of things to do next time I visit for sure! Maybe we could do a siser rowing trip and then you really can lead :) You look beautiful by the way. Makes me miss you guys!

.kp. said...

smiling...for many reasons.

Kimber-Leigh said...

i love how you share the ordinary every day moments that turn into good life lessons :) miss you!