Thursday, December 6, 2007

'Tis the Season


The Christmas season in New York is in full swing. The streets are lined with Christmas trees - just like you would see in a snow village with the string of lights hanging overhead. The snow has come. The temperatures have dropped. The halls are decked. Santa is here taking wishes, and a few more things have been going on...


 ...Our first "accumulating" snow was last Sunday morning, so I snapped a quick one on our way to church. Of course we walk to church, doncha know, with the stroller and all - in the snow. I might not be able to tell Kate that I walked up hill both ways to school when I was a child, but I can sure as heck tell her that when we lived in NYC, we WALKED everywhere and pushed her EVERYWHERE in her stroller -  no matter what kind of weather! So, there. 
...Kate met Santa -  THE Santa, of course. We went to Macy's and entered Toy Land and I'm not sure who was more amazed...me or Kate. It was truly magical in every sense of the word. I was giddy. In line, it was like a ride at Disneyland with moving and singing toys, snow falling, talking trees, snow villages outlined with lights. Amazing. Of course - our camera died in line, so this is the only pic I have of the experience (figures). However, we did buy the $30 package of a 5x7 and 4 wallets, which are designated for the Grandparents. (just like Disneyland!)
...Our Christmas shopping expedition took place on the World Wide Web - the only practical place to shop when 1) you have a 5 month old in New York City 2) it is 30 degrees outside and you have to walk everywhere 3) you have to ship it to another state anyway and 4) you have no idea what you are getting anyone.  I don't have a picture of this (i know you're thankful), but I must say that we have been getting GREAT deals online by just typing in the company name and "coupons" in a separate window and it's like getting free money! Does anyone have any great deals they have found online and want to share? Is that dorky? Ok, nevermind. But, if you do - I might be interested. 


...We finally received our Christmas tree in the mail, after realizing it would cost just as much for a 4 foot real tree off the street as it would for a beautiful, 7 foot artificial one, that might last us another year and actually fit in the ONE space we have in our apartment. No contest. 


I hope your Season is off to a great start!


If I left it at just this, I wonder what Christ would think of my "experiences". About three weeks ago, David and I met someone who would forever change our lives. Her name is Valia. She is a mother of four, a victim of domestic violence, and is now homeless in the City. She is being housed tonight in a hospital - the second one in just a month. She calls us every night at the same time - looking for peace, looking for joy, looking for hope, looking for a listening ear, looking for love. 


Valia won't have a tree this year. She won't go meet Santa (or at least - I doubt it). She will probably be thinking that her four children, who she will not see, will experience yet another Christmas without her - wondering where she is and if she still thinks of them. She will see snow much differently than I, as someone without a place to call "home".


 How does that change my perspective on this Season? It changes everything. I will no longer experience Christmas without thinking of Valia and the hundreds of thousands in her same position. What are we called to do during this time and onward? Outside of cherishing our family and friends, decorating our houses, playing in the snow, buying Christmas gifts - I would say it is to look for opportunities to be Christ to those around us, first and foremost. That's it. Now, let's go do it. 

4 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

I love Christmas in NY and I love your focus on what the season is TRULY about! Actually, I take that back--we should be "Jesus with skin on" every day of every year, not just during the Christmas season.
Thanks for your always encouraging words, S!
Love,
Jen

FordeFam said...

Love this post!!! My birthday is right before Christmas and Zoe's is right after, so Zoe was listing off the birthdays and she knows that Jesus' birthday is right between ours! After she listed her birthday she said "Mommy, when do we get to give Jesus his birthday present?" I was amazed and thought about what scripture tells us about how when we bless others it is as if we are doing it for Christ Himself! :) We're going to find someone to bless this year for Jesus' birthday present, and we're going to make that a tradition! Merry Christmas!!! Love your pics! :)

Allie said...

another package arrived at my house...so your total is up to 3! I don't have any good ideas for deals online, but I've heard that Overstock.com has flat $2 dollar shipping, which is a HUGE savings.

Kristian and Katy said...

Well said. That is a great perspective and a great encouragement. I'm really thankful to have you guys as friends and I'm really thankful that you are engaging the Valia's of our city. I hope Kate feels better soon. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.