Sunday, July 24, 2011

wisdom from pooh.



"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.
(excerpt from Winnie-the-Pooh)
***

I couldn't resist these quotes as I put together David's Father's Day festivities last month. They included a yummy breakfast, of course: David's favorite - Eggs Benedict.

 I can relate to Pooh.

Yesterday, I took Kate to see her very first movie. For her scrapbook, I want to note that we paid $12.00 for an Adult ticket, $9.50 for the Child's ticket and $6.25 for a kids pack; including, a small popcorn, small drink and some mystery small gummy candy thing - that was devoured in literally 10 seconds. I do remember when my movie ticket as a student was $5.50. I also remember now why David and I fore go the movie theater and just watch movies a few months later at home. Every now and again - it is worth the splurge though. Oh, and that popcorn you just can't quite copy at home.

I digress. We went and saw Winnie-the-Pooh and it was darling! I loved every second of the movie and every bite...of popcorn.The previews went on forever (30 minutes for an hour long movie) and since I've been reading Cinderella Ate My Daughter (more on that soon), I was overly sensitive to the multi-media marketing to our children at such young ages. But, I definitely thought Winnie-the Pooh was tastefully done, pretty true to the book (in different order), and even included character teaching - denying self to serve others. Love that!

Definitely a great movie to escape the summer heat and to make a fun memory. You can relax knowing it is really geared for the kids (not an animated movie for adults).

Happy watching!





2 comments:

Kimber-Leigh said...

so fun! i took the kiddos on wednesday morning to see pooh...we enjoyed it too! (i guess i shouldn't tell you madeleine got in for free?!?!) ;) i loved zooey deschanel's take on the Pooh music too!

however, movie prices are outrageous these days...we tend to only see a couple a year...and it's usually one we're dying to see that best makes use of the big screen.

Christine said...

Love this! Pooh is one of the Disney things I actually like :) I saw you were reading that book and am REALLY interested in hearing more and reading it myself. I'm so sensitive to all the "princess" stuff and really have no desire to have all that kind of stuff in our house. I want to figure out ways to foster creativity and imagination in other ways. Anyway, excited to hear your thoughts! MMM, now I'm in the mood for some "hunny." :)