Thursday, May 13, 2010

Party Animals and Reality TV

This week I had two interesting New York moments:

On Tuesday morning, I was taking Kate to Central Park for our regular playground and picnic morning. As I'm waddling (35 weeks pregnant) up to Park Avenue on 76th Street, I notice what is not an unusual scene in the City. A group of cameras and their subject. As I get closer, I see that it is Alex from Real Housewives of New York, completely put together - hair perfect, fashionably dressed, and complete with high heels, of course!

There were two other moms in front of me trying to cross the street as well. Alex politely moved so that the stroller parade could make their way before the light turned. I just found it quite ironic that here we are - the "real" moms/housewives of NYC - in workout clothes, hair pulled back in a pony tail, hardly any make-up on, if any, actually with our kids, struggling to push out strollers over to the park. I just can't figure out why the cameras don't want to capture the REAL moms? :)

***

Party Animals is the name of Kathie Lee Gifford's new children's book. This afternoon, I took Kate to a book signing party near us for the new book. It was complete with wild children running around, cupcakes and juice, and some free loot; each child got a Skip Hop lunch box! Kate chose the bee. :)

She was lovely in person, although I am not the biggest fan. She was sweet and danced and played with the kids. Of course, there were cameras all around.


Nothing like a FREE event and a fun NY afternoon with friends! I'm trying not to be bitter though, that we spent $20 for the same book you can buy on Amazon for $12. Oh well - it's a personalized and signed copy, so that counts for something, right!? I guess it's all about the experience. :)

4 comments:

Christine said...

Those both sound fun! I love hearing about your NY life!

Allie said...

very cool! Love those NYC moments.

Donald and Angela said...

Hey Shawna! Haven't peeked into your life in a little bit! The previous post's pictures were so beautiful! I was so bummed to have missed you when we came up to see katy a few months back. Hope all goes well with baby's birth - congrats!!!

Becksta said...

Too funny. Only in NYC...

Enjoyed catching up on your blog- the Mother's Day pics are BEAUTIFUL!