Saturday, June 6, 2009

Life in the Mountains...It Just Is.


After spending 12 days in the mountains of Colorado, I am ever more convinced the mountains were created with one sole mission - to sing and give praise their Creator. Those who are blessed to spend even one minute in the majestic Rockies, must give pause to their splendid peaks reaching up to the heavens and stand in awe of their magnificence. I'm honestly not trying to be cheesy, but...majestic is one of the few words that comes to my mind, during a commonly speechless moment of staring out at this view day in and day out for close to 12 days. It just is.


Every Colorado trip I learn more about myself, my family, traveling with a toddler, and mountain life. While I could touch on every area, I really want to just focus on mountain living.

Mountain living is a different way of living.

Sense of time is lost. Paved roads are few and far between. Clear and crisp fresh air is the norm. Cool breezes and consistent afternoon rains are quite frequent - even during the heat of the summer. Labels don't seem to matter. Clothing is about function, not form. In fact, I really think that mountain "apparel" tends to stay in more of an early 90's style and progress backwards rather than forwards. Doesn't bother me. I find it rather refreshing, actually.

There are all shapes and sizes. All backgrounds of people in the mountains. Some people running away from something and others running to something.

I always leave the mountains with a fresh perspective and new goals. Yes, you can't get much different from life in New York City, but it's more than that. It's about time to breathe. Time to think. Time to just 'let go' and live unplugged for a while. It's about getting lost in a campfire and worship through reading, prayer, and discussion. It's about nature walks and moments of pure and natural silence. It's about passing on a legacy of the cabin to my daughter. It's about late night games and early sunrise mornings. It's about ... singing praise to our Creator. It just is.


Oh - such sweet memories in the mountains. I love seeing Kate so happy.




I loved getting to see her enjoy a campfire. (that she called "fire truck")


We had such special time with Mia and Papaw.

They taught Kate how to say "2" with her fingers.

Kate got some "new" things (i.e. sunglasses and loved chillin' in the treehouse at the cabin.
She enjoyed MANY treats with Papaw. :)

She got her first pedicure with Mia.

I could go on and on.
Oh - such sweet memories.

Thank you, mom and dad for everything!











6 comments:

Psalm112 said...

You'll have to give me clothing advice. We are leaving on Thursday for Colorado Springs and I have no clue what to take. It is 90-100+ here and I understand it's much cooler there...do I need to dig some items out of the winter stash?

Kristian and Katy said...

ahh! this looks so amazing. i want to be there right now. SO glad you had such a great time with your parents and kate.

Becksta said...

Now I'm hankering for some time in in the Mountains!!! :)

So happy you were able to spend that time with your parents and reflect in God's majesty through His awesome creation!

And I LOVE that Kate called the campfire a "firetruck" - too funny!

Christine said...

SO wonderful! I love that photo of your mom painting her nails. Precious! This post comes at the perfect time...I am leaving on Thursday to go to Colorado for the first time! My mom and I are starting in Durango and going around the San Juan Skyway. Any advice?! I can't wait to finally experience this part of God's creation....fresh mountain air, here I come....

Stephanie Marie said...

Love it. I can't wait to be with you guys in July/Aug. The cabin has brought such sweet memories for us, I can't wait to make new ones with Kate.

Stephanie Marie said...

oh and couldn't agree more about cabin attire being early 90's. It's awesome and so true.