Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Is it really time?


Is it really time for the holidays already? Last night we decorated for Christmas. If you are one of those who curse people that decorate before Thanksgiving, then I guess we fall into that category now.  To feed my defensive nature, this is our first time to do this and it is really because we will only be here for two weeks in December and ...well, it's fun. Yes, we'll still celebrate Thanksgiving and no, it means nothing less to us and yes, we'll still be thankful.

 I promise.
When you decorate 700 sq ft. (well, a lot less in just the living room) it really doesn't take long. As you can see above, because we are in an apartment with no mantle or fireplace or any other wall space, we hung our stockings on the bookshelf with care. So sad. Sigh.  I'm not going to show all of the decorations, but I had to share some funny stories.

Mommy: "Kate, see the Christmas tree and all of the ornaments?"
Kate: "Hi!" (she loves saying hi to anything and everything while waving)
Mommy: "See, Kate, here is an apple and a duck and a cupcake and a candy cane." (showing our "kid-friendly" ornaments at the bottom of the tree)
Kate: "Noah!"
Mommy: "Where is Noah?" (I didn't realize we had bible characters on our tree)
Kate: pointed to a Santa dressed in a rain coat, holding a lobster from one of our Boston trips. 

I guess it was the beard that made her think of Noah from her bible and other books. He did resemble Santa in a few of them now that I think about it. Too funny. 

Then, today.

Mommy: "Kate, do you know why Christmas is so special?"
Kate: silence (which is rare these days)
Mommy: "It's because it is a time for us to celebrate God sending Jesus to us on earth as a baby. It is Jesus' birthday!"
Kate: still silence (even more rare)
Mommy: "See, Kate, who is this?" (reaching for Mary and baby Jesus from our nativity scene)
Kate: "Dora!"

I was really going for "Baby Jesus" but, I guess the dark hair of Mary made her think of Dora?

Too much. Really. I am so giddy about celebrating Christmas with Kate this year because I can just see the wheels turning in that mind of hers and Lord willing, this is just the beginning. Such a treat. I'm looking forward to many more laughs. 

6 comments:

Becksta said...

Noah? Dora? That is TOO precious!!! I just love what can come out of a sweet little child's mouth and what must be going on in their precious, little heads! Too cute and funny :). This will be such a fun Christmas for you guys! Looking forward to more sweet stories :).

Kimber-Leigh said...

i completely understand your desire to enjoy Christmas time in your home before you leave for travel. i drove brent crazy having a tree EVERY year even though we always spent at least 2 weeks away during december. it's so special to make those memories as your own family...

and dora and noah? priceless, shawna. can't wait to hear what else she's saying soon!

Christine said...

This is awesome! This post made me laugh out loud! Cute Kate :)

Anonymous said...

This is just the beginning. I know you will have so much fun and I don't blame you in the least for putting up your tree. I applaud you for it. Enjoy! See you next week, I hope.

anne h. alley said...

Aaah, I love that I can actually picture her now when I hear these cute stories! Adorable! I would to see little Kate much more than once a year, though! :)

So great to see your family!

Allie said...

LOVE those stories. Looking very forward to seeing yall in just a few days!!