So one of my favorite NY memories was last night. It will for sure go into Kate's baby book as one of the crazy things her parents did while she was still in the "belly". I wish I had pictures to share with you...but we really couldn't take pictures, so you'll just have to believe me.
My friend, Christian, and I are a part of an expectant moms group on the upper east side and the person who started the group has "connections", so we all got an email invitation to attend a movie premiere for FREE. We both received tickets and were able to bring our husbands. Not knowing what to expect, we showed up last night at a theatre in Chelsea. The movie is called Evening and is coming out in 2 weeks. We really didn't know much about it, but just knew there was an all-star cast and we just had to go and see what this was all about.
So, we show up and get our tickets. The "dress" was "summer festive casual" - and as Christian said...the celebrity version of that was a little different than hers or mine. Either way, it was definitely casual - like way more casual than you could ever imagine. The security was crazy outside, paprazzi and cameras everywhere - but once inside the theater, everyone just mingled together. Like the biggest stars and directors were just standing next to you engaged in their own conversations. There was no division, we all sat next to each other and watched the movie. So crazy!
So, here's who we saw. I could blog all day about this, but you get the picture. It was so stinkin' cool.
* Claire Danes - beautiful!
* Glenn Close - striking!
* Patrick Wilson
* Hugh Dancy
* Mamie Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter) - went to the bathroom with her and literally splashed water on her when I was washing my hands and she was putting more lipstick on... Oops! I said I was sorry and she laughed and said it was ok. Oh gosh!
* Eileen Atkins
* Natasha Richardson - 2 rows in front of us
* Vanessa Redgrave
* Lajos Koltai - the Director of the movie
* Bernadette Peters (Annie - hello!?)
* Guy from Law & Order (can't remember his name, but David knows it)
* Ang Lee (director from Brokeback Mountain) - I almost took his popcorn and had to apologize. He was super nice.
* Allyson C. Johnson - Editor of the movie - David and I sat next to her - no pressure or anything. She said she wanted to see how we react to it.
* Regis Philbin (didn't see, but Will and Christian did)
* Donna Karan (didn't see, but Will and Christian did)
We saw so many other people, there were just too many to keep track of in this small space. Like it was a movie theater the size of (maybe smaller) the old Rockwall 8 movie theater. As the Editor said to me...this was a very heavy celebrity concentrated premiere...so pretty much everyone was someone, we just couldn't figure them all out or keep track fast enough. Then there was this small contingent of pregnant women...hahahaha - we knew how they got there. :) The Editor asked me if we were in the film business and I said - "No, just pregnant". LOL. She got a big kick out of that story. She said she had never heard of such a thing before. Such a great memory!
Shawna's movie review:
Pros:An all-star cast for sure; beautiful scenery/cinematography; makes you think about your life and what it's all about
Cons: Pretty slow and drawn out; definitely could have been shorter and still developed a plot; I wanted more character development
Overall: A girl movie and could definitely just be a rental
5 comments:
Oh my goodness! I am so jealous about the Meryl Streep sighting! She is glorious. I'll take your advice and rent this one, but that sounds like SUCH a fun evening!
What a fun evening! Glad you had such a fun experience!
"No, just pregnant!" You are way too funny!
HEY SHAWNA!
We found your blog through Courtney's. How exciting about being pregnant! Congrats! Sounds like you are due soon and that it is a baby girl???? Fun, fun, fun!
Take care and check out our blog when you get a chance (there is a link on Courtney's).
:)
Love,
Matt and Jen
Too fun. Liked the reference to the Rockwall 8 Movie Theater. The only thing to do on the weekends back in the day...
simri
You forgot about Molly Shannon!
Post a Comment