Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day in the City

I think David and I were one of the few who did NOT leave the City for Memorial Day weekend. He is busy studying for the CFA exam (next Sat) and so I tried to be a good wife and not distract him as much as possible. It's pretty much a good time to stay in the City b/c everyone leaves, but it really feels like a ghost town compared to the day to day hustle-and-bustle you would normally expect. So, I decided to do a Top 10 list from my weekend.

You know it's Memorial Day weekend in the City when:

10. Your favorite stores are closed, which means even the retailers got to get out of the City!
9. You can walk right in and get a mani/pedi without having to wait.
8. You can cross the street even when the red hand is up b/c there are no cars and even more amazingly....NO taxis!
7. Central Park is full of families, picnics, softball games and dogs.
6. The taxis that are here are trying to flag YOU down! (not kidding - it happened to me today)
5. The smell of dog urine and every other unimagineable smell starts to hit you as you walk to and fro - NOT a lovely thing (especially when your 8 months pregnant)
4. The Monday morning news shows only EMPTY lincoln and holland tunnel lanes - why even do a "traffic" report?
3. The delivery man arrives to your door in 5 seconds rather than the usual 5 minutes b/c there is NO ONE on the street and probably no one else ordering.
2. The extent of an outdoor BBQ consists of delivery (see above), store bought beer, and a trip to the park. Grills - what grills?
1. The speedo is sported at Central Park (and there's no water in sight). I saw several today - NICE!

I hope you all had a good long weekend! :)

3 comments:

Kimber-Leigh said...

You're too cute! Glad that ya'll had a relaxing weekend...we did too!

Christine said...

HA!!! Speedo in the park - nice touch.

andrea said...

Awww... I want to spend Memorial Day in the City!