Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Is it really greener?

Yes, today is my blogging debut and I have to admit - it's a lot of pressure to write something funny or meaningful or profound to ensure the return of readers, like yourself. So what is it with all this green talk? Green blog, greener pastures, green title...

Well, I'll tell you…I commute to work everyday on the ferry and bus and I listen to music on the ipod or read a book or a magazine and something struck me last week that I have not been able to get out of my head. One song on my David Crowder CD asks " Where are my greener pastures, where are my quiet waters". I never thought much about it until last week when I heard the end of another song on the same CD that stated, "You are my greener pastures, You are my quiet waters".... wow, I finally get it. That’s big.

You see, when moving up to New York (or New Jersey technically) a little over 3 years ago, I was ready for greener pastures. This new glamorous life and new career and new marriage and new everything seemed so "green" and yet day after day it continued to disappoint me. Then I started thinking that the "real green" existed back in Texas or with old friends who knew me and knew who I was or back in my comfort zone where I didn't have to stand out so much. Then old friends started to disappoint me and I found myself in new territory trying to figure out where that “greener pasture” really is if its not in New York. Now 3 years later, I find myself doing things I NEVER thought I would do - ever in a million thousand years - move into New York City and have our first child 1400 miles away from the land of green (a.k.a. Texas) Of course in New York City...I would be happy with ANY pasture...but that doesn't quite exist. :) (maybe Central Park…maybe)

For some reason, at this next huge transition point in my life I realize what I have been seeking all along. It's not Texas, it's not old or new friends, it's not a reasonable job, or a passionate marriage, or a solid church, or a big house, or a house at all really... my greener pasture can only be found in Him. Apart from Him - there is no green. I was missing it.

Thus...the inspiration for my blog. Come back and read some more...I promise some will be deep, some will be fun, some will be random, but they will all be.. me.

12 comments:

Kimber-Leigh said...

Yay Shawna! So excited that I can add you to my list!!! I love what you wrote about greener pastures...although I have to tell you that NC is A LOT greener than TX, cause it's pretty brown here right now :) But of course, you already knew that about me, didn't you! Can't wait to see you in a few days!

Allie said...

Welcome to Blogger! So glad you have joined. ONE more thing to read while I should be working :) Have a great rest of the week, packing!

Anonymous said...

Fun! Can't wait to read more!

Anonymous said...

beautiful insight, friend. that's a good reminder. love you...

Christine said...

I love it Shawna! You are an excellent writer, and I can't wait to read your musings! Thanks for linking to me too :) See you soon!

Matty D said...

Welcome to the big time Shawna... ;-)

Stephanie said...

yep...i have added you to my favorites, so that i can read while i should be working too! thanks for entertaining me...as always!

Ginger Vassar said...

Glad you're joining the blogger world! And...the motherhood world! My blogs lately have dwindled to funny pictures of my kids. But, you are welcome to stay tuned in to it. Occassionally I do have a deep thought and actually take the time to record it. A "mommy brain" is hard to work with. All my brain drains into my kids and trying to figure out just how they tick to prevent the next time bomb or mess! ha ha. We love having you with us in the city...especially within walking distance now! Welcome to blogging AND living in the city. You guys are blessings to us in many ways.


www.manhattanmom.blogspot.com

andrea said...

YAY! We are literally at opposite ends of the nation but I feel so close to you in BlogLand. Can't wait to read more!

Kristian and Katy said...

Shawna,
What a wonderful truth to remember as I am daily trying to MAKE myself feel content here :)
Much Love!
Katy

Unknown said...

Shauna
So cute.. What truth about greener pastures. We are so excited for you guys! Would love to grab a dinner soon! Hope you're feeling good. See you Sunday!
Megan

Anonymous said...

Yay! Welcome to the bloggersphere!